• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinosaur BBQ Opening in Newark

weinoo

New York's (Syracuse and NYC) Dinosaur Barbecue is opening adjacent to the sports arena in Newark. Official opening is next week.

They were serving free somethings or other last night before the Springsteen show, but I (we) didn't feel like dealing with the insane mob scene, nor having to listen to the "B Street Band," who were playing quite close-by to Dinosaur's set up.

Looks like a good get for Dinosaur and for Newark as well.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Newark? Newark? have they lost their mind?

:laugh::raz:

Full disclosure: i have not been to their Rest. in Syracuse, but i know a lot of people from UpState NY who have. I got their book ( a classic ) a long time ago and figured there food had to be good when you study their views on mashed potatoes and gravy. Their cook book is a BBQ 'must'

they are very 'biker' orientated in a good sense in the UpState and I very much look forward to your trip. with pics pls

but their fatal error was to not open a place in the western burgs of Boston or someplace I can get to easily.

that being said, Id be broke based on what my UpState buds have said.

hope they their food is as good in #$%()^#$^#@ as it seems to be in UpState. I hope they do well enough to see the errors of their way and get a place near me.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Dinosaur is quite good. Living in Rochester, NY, I've been to Dino more times than I can count.

Style wise, I suppose it qualifies as Memphas City? Their Q doesn't exactly adhere to any particular region. The menu ranges from pork ribs, to brisket, to pulled pork, smoked chicken and an array of different sandwiches and side dishes. All meat gets a generous dusting of their dry rub, smoked over apple and hickory (I believe), and gets finished with a light coating of sauce. Their sauce doesn't really resemble any other BBQ sauce I've had. Not very vinegary or sweet or spicy, but it matches well with their rub.

My go to is usually a starter of wings and then either the half rack of ribs with BBQ beans and mac salad, or the pork carolina sandwich. You can find Dino in Syracuse, Rochester, Troy, Harlem, and soon enough Buffalo and Newark.

Dinosaur is quite good. Living in Rochester, NY, I've been to Dino more times than I can count.

Style wise, I suppose it qualifies as Memphas City? Their Q doesn't exactly adhere to any particular region. The menu ranges from pork ribs, to brisket, to pulled pork, smoked chicken and an array of different sandwiches and side dishes. All meat gets a generous dusting of their dry rub, smoked over apple and hickory (I believe), and gets finished with a light coating of sauce. Their sauce doesn't really resemble any other BBQ sauce I've had. Not very vinegary or sweet or spicy, but it matches well with their rub.

My go to is usually a starter of wings and then either the half rack of ribs with BBQ beans and mac salad, or the pork carolina sandwich. You can find Dino in Syracuse, Rochester, Troy, Harlem, and soon enough Buffalo and Newark.

Thanks for the info. Will try to stop on our next trip down. Yay!