• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

7 Eleven

Toliver

I was standing in line in my neighborhood 7 Eleven when I nocticed that some of the nearby chip bags were branded "7 Eleven". It makes total sense. If grocery stores can have their own brand of goods, then why not 7 Eleven?

Has anyone tried the 7 Eleven brand of potato chips/tortilla/corn chips?

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have not tried them. Interesting - I wonder if they are just another maker within a 7-11 logo bag.

I must say their hit dogs with the generous condiment bar were always the kid's favorite when they were starving after a sport activity. Cheap too. These are kids who refuse to go to Wienerschnitzel.

I wonder if they are just another maker within a 7-11 logo bag.

That's actually how that pretty much always works. Sometimes it's private label made by a company you've heard of, some companies do only private label stuff. Buddy of mine works for a chip company that started out making private label only, he's the brand manager for their first self-branded product. He once explained how all that works, very interesting.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Hardly any 7-11s in this part of the world. Wawa eats them alive. A Philly/ mid-atlantic chain that is starting to appear in FL, Wawa has mastered convenience store food. Pretty decent hoagies, hot dogs etc. Not quite as good as an Italian deli but very reliable and all over the place.

Hardly any 7-11s in this part of the world. Wawa eats them alive. A Philly/ mid-atlantic chain that is starting to appear in FL, Wawa has mastered convenience store food. Pretty decent hoagies, hot dogs etc. Not quite as good as an Italian deli but very reliable and all over the place.

I live in Lansdale, PA, outside of Philly, and there are three 7-11s nearby, but only one Wawa (which isn't that close), to my disappointment.

Believe it or not, the 7 Eleven brand chips are pretty good, especially the kettle cooked variety. I'm guessing that the convenience store doesn't MAKE them, and if you read the label you'd probably see that they actually came from a multinational company.

I've since given up gas station and convenience store food, but I was amazed at how good (and cheap) the 7 Eleven brand food was. When I was driving for a living I pretty much lived on the cold sandwiches and bags of chips. Surprisingly good.

I have also had experience with their frozen foods (burritos and chicken nuggets at least) and they aren't bad either. You have to imagine the nutritional value you are getting from 7 Eleven food is not good, but as far as taste and price goes it's not too shabby.

• 2 weeks later...

Believe it or not, the 7 Eleven brand chips are pretty good, especially the kettle cooked variety. I'm guessing that the convenience store doesn't MAKE them, and if you read the label you'd probably see that they actually came from a multinational company.

Jane, thanks for this.

I took the plunge and bought some of their chips the last time I was in there. They were good. The Cheddar & Sour Cream flavor was nice, not too strong or salty and not too heavy on the flavoring/orange powder (no orange fingers after eating them). I am trying the Sour Cream & Onion flavor at lunchtime today. On the plus side, the bag was less than a dollar like the chip snack bags that Frito-Lay used to sell but has now jacked up all of the prices. So the 7-11 brand is a better value for a decent chip.

Also in the news...

They've announced "...New Slurpee flavors slash calories, sugar"

Makers of the icy, slushy 7-Eleven favorite will begin unveiling diet-friendly flavors next week. Sugar-free mango will be followed by sugar-free strawberry banana and sugar-free cherry limeade. Additional flavors will be rolled out through the end of the year.

I hope they will make a Coke Zero version....that will taste like Coke but not have the calories of the original Slurpee flavor.

Tim Oliver

Also in the news...

Makers of the icy, slushy 7-Eleven favorite will begin unveiling diet-friendly flavors next week. Sugar-free mango will be followed by sugar-free strawberry banana and sugar-free cherry limeade. Additional flavors will be rolled out through the end of the year.

I hope they will make a Coke Zero version....that will taste like Coke but not have the calories of the original Slurpee flavor.

It's hard for me to imagine a 'healthier' 7 Eleven, but I guess it's something that is happening. Of course people should be aware that it's not actually HEALTHY, simply less bad for your health than it once was.

On the topic of the chips I had the harvest cheddar grain 'Sun Chips' knock off they had and they were also pretty good. I'm not sure I prefer them to the brand name, but it's my opinion that they are every bit as good. Not to mention probably the EXACT same product with a different name.

I'll be sure to try the new Slurpee. I hope it doesn't taste like diet, as I would immediately unlearn my whole childhood and what I expect a Slurpee to taste like.

It's hard for me to imagine a 'healthier' 7 Eleven, but I guess it's something that is happening. Of course people should be aware that it's not actually HEALTHY, simply less bad for your health than it once was.

On your worst day it is open and you can get a banana or an apple and a cheese stick. At least they carry those simple items. Not sure but I think some of them have hard boiled eggs. In a food desert on a car trip one at least has minimal options.

Regarding this article, the 7-Elevens in my area are handing out free 7.11 ounce samples of the low-calorie Slurpees this week (on the 23rd, I believe). Check with your local 7-Eleven to see if they are participating in the giveaway.

As for the 7-Eleven brand of potato chips, I tried the Sour Cream and Onion flavor recently and found the chips to be far too salty. It was like nibbling on a salt lick. So far, one winning flavor (Cheddar & Sour Cream) and one loser (Sour Cream and Onion). I'll try the BBQ flavor next.

Tim Oliver

I am impressed with the 7-Eleven Kettle Potato Chips. I had the BBQ flavor yesterday. They were typical BBQ flavor...not excessive nor too light of hand on the flavoring. The biggest "plus" was how crispy the chips were. From the first chip to the last chip, they were some of the crispiest potato chips I've eaten in quite some time. Now I am anxious to see if the rest of the Kettle line are as good.

edited for spellling

Edited by Toliver (log)

Tim Oliver

Just a reminder that today is the day 7-Eleven is giving out free 7.11 ounce cups of their new low-calorie Slurpees, available from 11am to 7pm.

Tim Oliver

• 1 month later...

Today, July 11th (7/11), 7-Eleven is giving out free 7.11 oz. Slurpees from 11am to 7pm in honor of their 85th birthday.

Tim Oliver

Care for some mashed potatoes with your Big Gulp?

"7-Eleven’s ridiculous mashed potato dispenser could take the U.S. by storm"

The machines were created by Maggi, a food and condiment company that is popular in Europe and parts of Asia. Maggi sells instant mash potato powder that can be purchased in stores and made at home, but that clearly wasn't convenient enough for 7-Eleven customers. When activated, the machine mixes the powder with water, squirts out the steaming-hot mashed potato mix, and even tops it with some creamy gravy.

It sounds...yummy? :blink::laugh:

The article says the machines are found mostly in non-U.S. 7-Elevens. Now if they only had a turkey dispenser, as well. :wink:

Tim Oliver

• 4 years later...

Today is July 11th (7/11) and this is the yearly reminder to get your free Slurpee today at 7-Eleven, while supplies last.

"7-ELEVEN DAY"

In honor of the convenience store’s 90th birthday Tuesday, the company is letting customers get in on the celebration by offering free Slurpees.

Customers who visit a participating 7-Eleven during the event will be treated to a free Slurpee of their choice from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The birthday celebration marks the start of Slurpee Week, during which customers who purchase seven Slurpees through the 7-Eleven app will win 11 coupons for free Slurpees.

• Like 1

Tim Oliver

We used to have a 7/11 on Maynard Road in Cary near the intersection with Kildaire Farm Road, and I do very much enjoy a Slurpee, especially a cherry one! (I realize it is artificially flavored.)

It became a post office, and now I think it is a dry cleaners. That was the last 7/11 in the area, so no Slurpee for me. Even my blender can't deliver that very finely ground ice texture. Maybe those with Vitamixes could do it? And, the Slurpee is also shot full of air to make it fluffy. This is the one instance where this is a good thing, in my book. Especially considering that our heat index in in the 105 F and over lately, I want a Slurpee brain freeze now! 

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <