• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cat Cora marketing "healthy olives"

Browsing a "diet" site to see what was on the horizon I stumbled on these olives that former (?) Iron Chef) Cat Cora is marketing. Well maybe it will get non olive eaters to open their minds? Anyone seen these?

I found it particularly odd since most of our major grocery stores (at least here in L.A.) have big olive bars with flavored ones. Is it just the "snack size portion" trend they are tagging onto?

Is it just the "snack size portion" trend they are tagging onto?

I think it is. In the last few months I've seen another brand of olives in a small foil pouch being marketed as healthy, but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

if there were a claim for unhealthy olives it would have to be the sodium content if any were to be made.

but if small packs get people eating 'better' things why not? it would be a start.

There are unhealthy olives????

My dentist once told me that olive pits lead to a lot of dentist visits, so maybe healthy means they're pitted. :biggrin:

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Clicking through to the link, it's clear that the claim isn't that these olives are healthy (as opposed to other olives); it's that these olives are healthy (as opposed to other snacks.)

Of course as with many other things, you could just put olives in a plastic bag or Tupperware container, but these presumably come in a handy package. I don't know who Cat Cora is, but presumably her brand adds something as well.