• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Restaurant Man" by Joe Bastianich

weinoo

There's a new book out by Joe Bastianich - Restaurant Man. It's his memoir.

Now, first of all, isn't a memoir usually written when one is towards the end of the journey?

Second, it has created quite the feud with Esquire's John Mariani.

Third - anyone planning on reading it?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Its way up on Amazons list. Somebody is buying it.

Seems like chefs hate mariani. He appears to be a real ass. Bourdain has famously gone after him.

Its way up on Amazons list. Somebody is buying it.

Seems like chefs hate mariani. He appears to be a real ass. Bourdain has famously gone after him.

Well, who hasn't Bourdain gone after? Isn't that his raison d'etre, after all?

My wife, Sneakeater and I once had a bit of an "issue" with Mr. Bastianich, right after (the first) John Dory opened.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've read the thing. Its OK. Bastianich doesn't come off as too likable in his own memoir, so its probably honest. Interesting stuff about restaurant economics. I think most eG types would find it interesting.

The more I think about it I think that the author paints a pretty unattractive picture of himself. Its not any one thing just the sum of a lot of little details he gives of his life and thinking.