• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken ribs

annachan

Recently, we've discovered a cut of chicken call chicken ribs. Here are some pics (raw and cooked) for those not familiar with this cut: http://3hungrytummies.blogspot.com.au/2009/12/citrus-chicken-ribs.html

It's becoming one of our favorite cuts of chicken! I am one who likes meat with skin and bone on. This cut has both. It also quite meaty. It's white meat but doesn't dry out. 10 minutes in a marinate of your choice, coat with panko or naked, baked in oven for about 15 minutes and it's done. It's juicy without the need to brine.

These chicken ribs are inexpensive and great for quick weekday meals. Therefore, we're having them once a week or every other week. I like the ways I'm been preparing them but I can see us getting tired of the current preparations soon. So, anyone got some good chicken rib recipes to share?

Recently, we've discovered a cut of chicken call chicken ribs. Here are some pics (raw and cooked) for those not familiar with this cut: http://3hungrytummies.blogspot.com.au/2009/12/citrus-chicken-ribs.html

It's becoming one of our favorite cuts of chicken! I am one who likes meat with skin and bone on. This cut has both. It also quite meaty. It's white meat but doesn't dry out. 10 minutes in a marinate of your choice, coat with panko or naked, baked in oven for about 15 minutes and it's done. It's juicy without the need to brine.

These chicken ribs are inexpensive and great for quick weekday meals. Therefore, we're having them once a week or every other week. I like the ways I'm been preparing them but I can see us getting tired of the current preparations soon. So, anyone got some good chicken rib recipes to share?

It's hard to tell from the blog post, where does this cut come from and how many would you get if you butchered a whole chicken?

PS: I am a guy.

Nice looking blog, 3HungryTummies!

Like Shalmaese, I can't figure out what the cut is. Chicken backs? Not if they're meaty.

We love chicken thighs in our house, more flavor & juicer. I bet the lemon chicken would work very nicely on chicken thighs.

Nice looking blog, 3HungryTummies!

It's not my blog - sorry, I should have made it more clear.... It isn't easy finding pictures of chicken ribs and that was where I managed to find a few pics....

My link

Is is the piece indicated in this illustration as "rib"?

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yeah, the simple way to describe a chicken sparerib is that it's half the wishbone. So the meat on them is high quality, and you would get 2 per chicken.

Marinated chicken wings & spareribs cooked on the bbq are one of my guilty pleasures - so cheap, so delicious.

Seems like a weird cut, if you butcher them that way, you lose two saleable breasts. Perhaps they're a byproduct of ground white chicken meat? When you say they're inexpensive, how much do they cost relative to breasts?

Have to agree. That is a strange cut unless the breast is being used for something else.

Some investigating turned up this: My link

And I have a message in to David Brown to ask how this cut came to be.

how about a picture of the 'ribs' you get. Yest. I though some of the meat looked like it came from the back below the ribs themselves but there is not enough meat there as pointed out before me.

dont's know the exchange rate, but they sound expensive: skinless/boneless Ck.Br. go for $1.77 a pound here on sale, and whole chickens $.99 or less.

Ill have to ask the butchers when they cut out those sale ckbr what happens to the meat on the wish-bone.

Australia food prices are generally higher than the US. For some reason, chicken here is quite expensive as compare to other types of meat. I can get steaks (good ones) at the same price as chicken.

I've been searching for pics of chicken ribs online and haven't had much luck finding good ones. I'll have to take some pics the next time I get them from the market.

Seems like a weird cut, if you butcher them that way, you lose two saleable breasts. Perhaps they're a byproduct of ground white chicken meat? When you say they're inexpensive, how much do they cost relative to breasts?

Have to agree. That is a strange cut unless the breast is being used for something else.

Some investigating turned up this: My link

And I have a message in to David Brown to ask how this cut came to be.

That definitely does not look like the "ribs" shown above.

And if you're gonna cut your chicken across the bone like that, make sure you don't use a fancy Japanese knife all sharpened up.

In Chinatown, you rarely see ground chicken for sale, so I doubt they're cutting out a rib from each breast and then grinding the rest. I'm going to take one for the team and walk over today to see what I can see.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

look at the 4th picture down on the original ref.

you see some ribs in the back of the picture, then that meaty piece in the front.

thats the money shot. Print it up and take it to Chinatown.

what a curiosity.

and BTW if really good steak = cost of chicken, consider Chicken fried Steak !

This site talked about Korean chicken ribs, and they didn't know why it was called chicken ribs either but said it was the whole chicken cut into pieces.

Truth is that this dish is not really about ribs. Entire chicken in pieces is put into the dish. Why then is it called chicken rib? I could not figure it out. Maybe some other seoulite or korean can help.

Korean Dak-galbi(chicken ribs) is cooked instantly over big steel plate. Chicken, vegetables, Ddeok(rice cake), sweet potato, and most importantly big chunk of pepper paste is mixed up and fried on the plate.

Chooncheon, the lake city of Gangwon province is really famous for this dish. However chicken ribs(giggle) restaurant can be found thoughout korea.

Here is the site with pictures of the dish.

Edited by PopsicleToze (log)

Further down in the same blog it explains the origin of the name 'chicken ribs'

EDIT, 2010.8.18]

춘천지역에서의 닭갈비 발생에 대하여 조사한 결과 1959년 지금의

중앙로2가 18번지(현 삼성생명 주차장과 주차장 옆 삼성생명 현관 계단 사이,

그 당시에는 버스터미널로 사용되었으며, 인근에 있는 현 중앙로2가 11번지

조흥은행은 강원합승종점으로 사용됨)에서 판자로 지은 조그만 장소에서

돼지고기등으로 영업을 하던 김영석(金永錫)씨가 1960년 4.19가 일어나던해 어느날

돼지고기 구하기 어려워 닭 2마리를 사가지고 와서 닭을 토막내어 돼지갈비처럼

만들어 보아야 하겠다고 하여, 하루종일 연구끝에 닭을 돼지갈비처럼 발려서

닭갈비를 만들었으며, 이것을 양념하여 12시간 재워서 팔기 시작한 것이

춘천닭갈비가 만들어진 유래로 확인,확정 발표되었다 .

Can you read the above? I did little searching and found out that origin of chicken rib dish.

Some restaurant owner could not secure enough pork ribs to sell, so he decided to use chicken instead in 1960. 1960 is the year of 419 revolution. So, it is not really about the chicken rib as the literal translation of the name indicates. Chicken was substitute for pork therefore replacing the word 'pork' to 'chicken' while cooking recipe remains same. ok?

I asked the guy when I was at the market today. He said the chicken rib is the piece located in the back of the wing. I don't really cut up whole chicken myself so I'm still a little confuse about where exactly he meant.

But here's a picture of them I got from the market.

IMG_1462-smaller.jpg

Edited by annachan (log)