• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HotmixPRO Creative

annachan

For a while now, I've been intrigued by Thermomix type machines. Initially, I was excited by the Theromix. Upon further inspection, I decided that it wasn't for me. Then there is the Kenwood Cooking Chef. I like it better than the Theromix due to the larger capacity and the more precise temp control. But something was holding me back. While deliberating on the Kenwood, the Thermo Chef came into the scene with a much lower price than the first 2 machines. Tempting, but there are drawbacks, like the blade always running when the machine is on. Excitement has faded by this point.

Now I am looking at the HotmixPro Creative. Though I still like a larger capacity, like the Kenwood, I am happy with the other features. Not only can temp be adjusting by 1 degree, the range from -24 c to 109c (-11.2f - 374f) is impressive. It can act as a blender, a mixer, a chocolate tempering machine, ice cream machine, works with sugar and possible sous vide. And no need to buy extra attachments. I am once again excited but not sure if this machine is as great as it claims to be.

Anyone have experience with a HotmixPRO machine? Even if not the Creative one, I still like to know how well the machine functions. Also, not sure that I will go with the Creative model yet as it will have to depend on the price. The Gastro (just like the Creative but without the chill feature) is about $2400. I don't think the Creative is available in Australia yet and I've read in one place that it may be in the 5-6k range. That's a big jump in price for that one feature and I think I can live without it. But, if it's closer to 3k, I would consider it.

TIA for any info you have.

I had a look at this machine at the restaurant association show in Toronto - and saw it again last week in a restaurant supply store locally. The container is the same size as the TMX - problem I found is that it is wired 220 which means in north america at least it's not easily plugged in at home.

I like the idea of it supposedly getting to higher temperatures than the TMX, and the one degree gradations - but other than that I saw no real advantage when I looked at it.

The reps stated that it was a 'professional' machine as compared to the TMX which was a 'home cooks' machine. Given the german workmanship on the TMX I think that's an attempt to appeal to someone who hasn't actually seen a TMX.

Probably. The Thermochef, tho', now there's a home cook's machine. At the demo I saw, it was openly billed as a sort of all-in-one, jack-of-all-trades, one-appliance-band gift for people who dislike cooking and want to be able to simply dump some chunks of pumpkin in the bowl, add some store-bought chicken stock and tune out and turn on the TV while a pumpkin soup doubtlessly superior to the canned alternative is produced in the background for no more effort than opening a can.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Both the Creative and the Gastro are HotmixPRO machines.

The Creative is going to be about $5000 - which has the chill feature. The chill feature is nice to have but I think my use for it is limited therefore probably doesn't make sense for me at this point.

The Gastro is $2400 - which is comparable to the Theromix, but better in terms of higher temp and more precise temp control. It may not matter if you're making everyday soups and stews, but this makes sous vide, chocolate tempering, sugar work possible. I don't really want a machine that just does the ordinary stuff, like chopping and cooking. I can do that just fine. I want a machine that can do the more complicated stuff. I think if it can acts as a sous vide (granted, I won't be able to do sizable pieces of meat in there, but I'm mainly cooking for two), replace my crappy chocolate tempering machine and saves me from standing in front of the stove for hours watching over my toffee during the holidays, it may be worth the price.

Oh, and you can program both the Creative and Gastro so you can set it to do multiple steps. You can also save recipes on a SD card with the steps.

By the way, there is also a HotmixPRO Easy (no programming available), which is a little cheaper than the Theromix and has wider and more precise temp control.

Someone did a comparison between the TM31 and HotmixPRO Gastro: http://welfarewisdom.blogspot.com.au/search/label/HotMix%20Pro

• 10 months later...

I have had a HotmixPro Gastro for about one year. In my opinion, it is superior to the Thermomix because of the higher precision in temperature, and the ability to reach higher temperatures. This is most useful for ice cream cooking (egg yolk coagulation), small sous-vide bags, precise temperature poaching. Furthermore, the HMP is made entirely of stainless steel whereas the Thermomix case is made of plastic. The only advantage of the Thermomix is the lower price, in my opinion.

The disadvantage of the HotmixPro is the loud noise of the cooling fan. It starts after 10-20 minutes of heating and will get louder over time. At the maximum it is quite noisy and unnerving. The fan noise is higher pitched but much less loud than a Pacojet. The mixing blade at maximum setting is as loud as a Pacojet.

Edited by mapex (log)

I now have the HotmixPro Gastro. I have to say I don't use it as much as I should. I do want to use it for sous-vide but has not had much success with the eggs, as the temp is not as precise without the blade running. How do you set up yours to do sous vide?

As for the price, I don't think the Thermomix is much cheaper. For the same price, you can get the HotmixPro Easy with some change.

• 3 months later...

Potentially not an issue for anyone not in the US, but... my mileage has been very poor with the HMP Gastro. I was the first consumer to have one in North America and the only one for months in the US that knew anything about them or how to use them. I have had Thermomix units for years prior to HMP coming to North America.

Unfortunately, and I haven't been shared details, the product engineering does not seem to do well on North American power at 240v and 60Hz. I had 4 defective units in as many months since April 2012 release and then my 5th replacement unit broke around November -- all with the same symptom. Eurodib, the master distributor for North America promised to pick it up and replace it as they had before, but then balked and I went 8 months with a broken Gastro in my garage before my local Eurodib rep went to bat for me and got them to pick it up finally. It's been in their hands now for the better part of 6 weeks and no word back from them on when I will get it back.

I'm told there is some modification that has been made to the machine due to differences in power that they hadn't anticipated, but that doesn't make the situation any better for those of us who were early adopters since now Eurodib's approach is to have us pay to send them back to Eurodib for them to "fix" the machines and send them back to us.

So for 15 months of waiting with two Gastros that I was deprived use of and about $US4,000 in outlay to get them, I'm left holding a pair of paperweights -- well that is if they ever return the first one to me. Otherwise, that's just plain stealing.

More detail at http://hotmixprous.com/ for those with any interest.

Definitely a buyer beware situation.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to this post, the new North American distributor for HotmixPRO reached out today. They are working with the manufacturer to make me 100% whole and a completely satisfied customer. Highly unexpected for a company who had no responsibility for the poor treatment that I received at the hands of the previous distributor (Eurodib). It's a breath of fresh air that a company actually cares enough to take care of the consumer.

Just thought I'd share the change in direction from previous experiences and keep those interested up to date.

I've used the Hotmix pro and it is a very good machine. However, it still cannot match the Thermomix in terms of ease of cleaning, usage and portability. The hotmix has a very awkward bowl design and cover. Because of this, stuff tends to fall into the area where the bowl sits and the clips around the cover are a pain to clean, requiring the use of a tiny brush.

In terms of operation, the hotmix is not a turn dial machine like the thermomix, requiring you to push buttons to set temperature and speed. Most annoying in a busy busy kitchen. I have never used any of the preset programs but perhaps a home cook would.

Because of the sophisticated controls of the hotmix, it has a CP board inside. My preference is always to stay away as much as possible from too much digital stuff and I have seen 2 hotmixes break down due to the CP board. I have not seen a Thermomix break down after heavy restaurant usage other than the 2 occasions where one was dropped from height and the other was melted on an induction cooktop. The melted one worked for a while before dying.

That said, the hotmix has a superb 'vortex' when blending stuff because it has a unique blade design. The down part is that it is extremely difficult to clean the blades, even with a brush. Everyone will always say cooks have to keep things spotless but in all practicality, we cannot control how an overworked dishwasher in a damp, hot environment will do their job. The easier it is to clean, like the thermomix, the more I like it.

I have tried cooking confitures in the hotmix but for things that go above 100 deg c., a pot is the best alternative.

As flimsy as the thermomix looks, I will always get that over the hotmix because it simply is a superior machine.

How to clean a Hotmix Pro: pour water into it, set it to boil, speed 10, run for 5 minutes. Pour water out. Repeat. Your HMP is clean.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

• 8 months later...

This machine is very tempting, because it's able to go to a higher temperature than a Thermomix. You can make caramel or toffee in it etc. I wonder if it would be posslble to make a pate de fruit in it. I don't like that it uses a step down transformer, and it doesn't sound if the reliability of it is better than the thermomix.

I found a good video explaining it capabilities.

Luis

Luis, 

Are they marketing it as 110V?  I think we can only get 220 V here.

They make one that cools too in europe.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 1 year later...

Weird - found what looked like that exact same page this morning and it only showed 240V.  Or perhaps I was looking at the creative and that's why.