• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mutant Cilantro?

Kim Shook

Got something that looked peculiar to me in our CSA box last week. It said that it was cilantro, but it looked like two herbs on one plant. Here’s the whole bunch:

med_gallery_3331_122_146268.jpg

This is what each stem looked like on the bottom:

med_gallery_3331_122_159164.jpg

Very cilantro-like.

And the tops all looked like this:

med_gallery_3331_122_52176.jpg

More like fennel fronds or carrot tops. Is all cilantro like this when really fresh? Or was this a particular type of cilantro?

Thats cilantro. I've never seen it sold once the frondy leaves develop.

It sprouts, you get those nice spicy flat leaves, then it sort of 'bolts' in a sense, growing the mature frondy leaves, flowering etc. The resulting seeds are ?coriander? I think. Or the start of more cilantro.

Pain to grow because it bolts so darn fast!

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

10-4 it is about to bolt. I grow it and here in GA it bolts fast. Flowers and seedheads form on those frondy parts if you leave it in the ground. The frondy parts are not as flavorful to me so I use them as garnish.