• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bakon MTD 1-2-3 Mini or Mol d'Art 6 Kg?

curls

Has anyone used a Bakon MTD 1-2-3 Mini? What are the pros and cons of this chocolate melter vs. the Mol d'Art 6 Kg chocolate melter?

Looks like both are large enough to work with 1000 & 2000 series chocolate molds. It appears that the Bakon is all stainless steel while the Mol d'Art is plastic and stainless steel. Wondering if this really matters for a piece of equipment with no moving parts. So is one piece of equipment more reliable than the other? Easier to operate? The Bakon costs a bit more than the Mol d'Art is the extra expense worth it?

I have the 6kg Mol d'Art, and I love it.

Plastic body: I cover it with saran wrap before use, to make cleanup quicker. I've had it for 5 months, the plastic looks just like on the blessed day when it arrived in my mail. :-) I've had the 3kg melter for 2 years, still looks and works like new.

Another advantage for me is that it's lightweight. I can move it from counter to kitchen cabinet with minimal effort.

I haven't used the Bakon, but I can say I'd buy another Mol d'Art in a heartbeat.

Donna, I like that the Bakon looks like it uses standard hotel pans. Mol d'Art doesn't. It looks more flexible with the pan assortment.

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

I'm with Ruth on the standard hotel pan issue - but 25 lbs is a big melter.

Couple of thoughts - I love the light weight nature of the mold'arts. If you want to have dark and milk in temper at the same time the temperatures are going to be different so you kind of lose the advantage of the split tray. Also I wonder if the middle of the hotel pans suffers from getting cool because it's not up against the heater.

But it also comes down to cost - if I were able to pick up one of the big ones inexpensively - I'd still be snatching it up!

Kerry, I am looking at the Mini Bakon MTD, it holds 12.5 lbs. (5.6 Kg). The standard Bakon MTD holds 25 lbs. (way too much for what I make).

Thanks so much for your input Ruth and DianaM. Please, keep the comments coming! Surely someone in the community has hands-on experience with Bakon products.

Edited by curls (log)

had a peek at the M od d'art website. These are the "good ones".

Our local C.C. uses them, and when I went to the Calebaut Workshop in Montreal last year they had about 12 of them--one for each variety of couverture. Derrick said they had them for about two years and had no isues with them at all.

The ones I have serious issues with is the Martelatto brand--two units and each melted down into a stinking puddle of plastic and burnt chocolate.....

Donna- from what I can tell, the Bakon is the US version of the melter I brought with me to the conference. I love my melter. Mine is an older one that has the dial, I would imagine the digital control is even better. I have tempered chocolate and then left it setting in the melter for 6 hrs and came back to it still in temper. It is well made and feels very solid. Mine uses European size hotel pans, but if you could use regular hotel pans in the Bakon, I think you would really find that convenient! I have seen the Bakon rep participate on The Chocolate Life site, it seems they are serious about customer service.

Good luck with your decision!!!

Edward, thank you for checking on the Mol d'Art site, glad they are not ones that you had trouble with.

Patti, I thought you had a wheel temperer at the conference, not a melter (the melter still has a dial control). Good to hear that you have had success with the company. I have see the positive references on The Chocolate Life site and I think they organized a group buy of some other Bakon equipment.

Tough decision for me, the Bakon looks interesting but so many people on eGullet and the pastry circuit have positive experiences with Mol d'Art. Will ponder this one for a bit longer. Thank for all the feedback!

I have 2 6kg mol d'art and only recently I have had to change the plugs. They were owrn out and breaking just on the outside of the machine. I have the dial for temp control and it is not accurate. You just get used to the machine and generally know how to adjust the dial. I have the machine for about 3 or 4 years and overall, I am very happy with the machines and I would purchase this brand again.

Edited by prairiegirl (log)