• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for cheap rennet in NYC

Fat Guy

I need to do a big cheesemaking project. Like, making cheese with 28 kids. Any thoughts on where to get a bunch of rennet cheap in NYC?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

You should be able to buy liquid rennet at Whole Foods

You only need 1/4 teaspoon for a gallon of milk so a little bottle (or 2) should fill your needs.

If using regular milk, ultrapasteurized, you will need to add some calcium chloride to get a firm curd.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Does wholefoods sell cultures too?

Not that I have ever seen. Ours does not even have liquid rennet, just the tablets. I get all my cultures from the internet. I assume if he is doing a one time project, he is making some sort of a fresh cheese, like a 30 minute mozzarella or a paneer. Whatcha making, Fat Guy?

Whatcha making, Fat Guy?

Mozzarella for a science-fair project. I guess I should start a topic on that and collect some wisdom, but at the moment my priority is sourcing some rennet.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Got it at Kalustyan's. $5.99 for a pack of 10 tablets, each tablet claims to be able to coagulate 50 liters of milk.

Please do post on your cheese adventures. Sounds like a good project for the kids. Iv'e only ever done it with lemon juice.

Around here I guess I will find rennet in a natural foods store...or maybe Wegmans. Need to check.

IF one is only making say a gallon of milk into cheese it could be a challenge to divide tablet.

The tablets appear to be pre-scored into quarters, so I'm hoping it will be easy to use a quarter for a gallon of milk. I think we're going to do a trial run tomorrow morning so we'll see what happens.

Failure. I need to do some serious troubleshooting. I'll start a separate topic on this once I get the kitchen cleaned up, which could be next month.