• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen yogurt flavors

Darienne

Regarding bananas in yogurt.

You can get a lot more flavor from bananas by peeling, placing in a bowl and microwaving for 4 minutes, drain the expressed liquid into a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon or two of lemon juice and cook over low heat till reduced to 1/3 the original amount.

Mash the cooled bananas with the liquid and add to the yogurt, blending well then adding the other ingredients.

I guarantee that the banana flavor will be much stronger and sweeter.

Shall do it. Thanks. This will please the banana-loving DH no end. Me? I am not a banana fan. However, I like them cooked.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Made the banana-chocolate frozen yogurt with Astro Balkan. Worked out well. DH loves it. Streaming in the melted chocolate at the end of the churning worked well also.

Today we go for Raspberry. My favorite.

Still not convinced. The caloric thing is good. The cost is not. (I know I know, I could go back to making my own yogurt but right now my plate is too full.) The mouthfeel is not as rich.

I'm wondering about using say 1/3-1/4 half & half with commensurate cornstarch towards mouthfeel and the rest 2% yogurt. I might just try it on plain vanilla. After the raspberry.

Oh, thanks again Andie for the banana tip. It worked very well.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Made the banana-chocolate frozen yogurt with Astro Balkan. Worked out well. DH loves it.

Oh, thanks again Andie for the banana tip. It worked very well.

Darienne, you can use this same banana process for bananas in banana bread, cake, cookies, pudding and etc.

Last year one of the America's Test Kitchen had a segment on banana bread and used this method. I got a chuckle out of it because I have been using this method for years since hearing it described on an NPR broadcast of The Splendid Table at least fifteen years ago (I know President Clinton was in the White House at the time.)

It worked so well I did some experiments with other fruits (pears, peaches, nectarines) that were not quite ripe and needed a little "boost" to up the flavor.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Shall try your fruit idea again and with other fruits, for sure.

Finished the raspberry frozen yogurt. I liked it very much...Ed, well, perhaps not quite so much. (But then he didn't really like the raspberry ice cream either.) Very raspberry-ish. However, by the time I finished making one error after another as I made it, I had no idea of how much of what was in it. Perhaps it wouldn't be all that raspberry-ish in the original.

Taken from DL'S Perfect Scoop basically. Used my new food mill for the first time...won't handle raspberries (rats! stupid me)...and so added more raspberries and mushed them through a strainer...whose holes were too big...where was my brain?...to regathering my supplies...3rd addition of more raspberries...and mushing them through a strainer with perfect holes...but such a lot of work it turned out to be. Lost track of my yogurt quantity as I was draining the Astro 2% somewhat to make it a bit thicker...and then simply tossed in the rest of the Astro Balkan and said...'there, I don't care any more anyway' in a fit of pique and the kitchen by now is a disaster area with red stains everywhere from my increasingly careless actions. Added some homemade raspberry liqueur and dumped it into the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker. Done. At last.

Result of my frozen yogurt foray to date. Not as a rule, I don't think.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, have you ever juiced in your blender? If you toss the raspberries in there with just a hint of water (enough to keep them from sticking to the blades) and give them a whirl, the result is much, much easier to strain of seeds and won't end up all over your kitchen.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Darienne, have you ever juiced in your blender? If you toss the raspberries in there with just a hint of water (enough to keep them from sticking to the blades) and give them a whirl, the result is much, much easier to strain of seeds and won't end up all over your kitchen.

:raz::laugh: Right. NOW you tell me. I'll remember it for sure.

Next time I'll have a proper food mill too. My confectionery partner, Barbara, is off on one of her jaunts and is picking up a proper one for me with three milling sizes..

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

The blender trick is completely well-known in Latin America... :raz: It's also a whole lot easier to clean than a food mill.

Blender-juicing is also applicable to any berry, pineapples (to get juice without stringy pulp), papaya (fast liquifaction), coconut milk (add a bit of flesh and pulse to get coconut cream), watermelon (on a hot day, this is even better than eating slices, and a whole lot less drippy), and mango (for nectar.)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

• 2 weeks later...

I found my old recipe.....probably should be updated for modern times (raw egg whites, no ice cream maker) but it has good bones :wink:

Pina Colada Frozen Yogurt

This recipe contains uncooked egg whites. the mixture could be processed in an ice cream maker without the egg white addition but will be harder.

Ingredients

• 1 envelope gelatin
    • 1/4 cup water
    • 1 can (8 1/2 oz) crushed pineapple with juice
    • 1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream of coconut
    • 1 lg container (16 oz) plain yogurt
    • 2 Tbs. rum
    • 2 egg whites
    • 3 Tbs. sugar

Instructions

1. Heat water in microwave for 1 1/2 minutes on high; sprinkle gelatin over, stir to dissolve.
    2. Blend pineapple, coconut cream, yogurt and rum in blender until smooth. Add gelatin to blender mixture, blend briefly.
    3. Pour into 9X9 pan. Freeze until partially frozen, stirring occasionally. (2-3 hours)
    4. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, incorporate sugar.
    5. Spoon partially frozen yogurt mixture into a bowl; beat until smooth. Fold in egg whites. Freeze again until softly frozen (1-2 hours).

Darienne, have you tried Jeni's Lime Cardamom frozen yogurt? Made it last year, made a blueberry sauce to layer it with in the container, and as I remember, it was quite delicious.

Darienne, have you tried Jeni's Lime Cardamom frozen yogurt? Made it last year, made a blueberry sauce to layer it with in the container, and as I remember, it was quite delicious.

Have yet to try anything out of Jeni's book although I bought it in December. Will do the Lime Cardamom this week. Maybe even tomorrow. Have extra yogurt still. And lime and cardamom are two of my favorites. Yumm. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.