• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen yogurt flavors

Darienne

Perhaps frozen yogurt needs a separate topic for discussion. Found only two topics for 'Frozen yogurt/yoghurt...one of them from me...and wonder why? Perhaps it's not all that popular?

I made frozen yogurt this week using un-drained full-fat Liberte (Canadian) yogurt. Added sugar, a bit of corn syrup, a pinch of salt, some vanilla. That's all. Churned it in my Cuisinart. Plain.

It tasted very good. Even DH, who normally likes everything very rich and creamy, liked it.

The half & half component of my ice cream registers 960 calories plus 91 calories for 3 T of cornstarch, and the un-drained full-fat yogurt at 510. That's not even using heavy cream and/or without eggs.

But so far I've not found a lot of frozen yogurt recipes which appeal to me.

Is anyone out there making it regularly? And what flavors? What kind of results?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't make frozen yoghurt, but I've been eating a lot of Astro full fat lately and my two favorite iterations are with grated lemon peel and lemon juice mixed in, with sugar, and with ripe Bartlett pears. I think both would make delicious frozen yoghurts. The pear, particularly, works really well with the tartness of the yoghurt.

I don't make frozen yoghurt, but I've been eating a lot of Astro full fat lately and my two favorite iterations are with grated lemon peel and lemon juice mixed in, with sugar, and with ripe Bartlett pears. I think both would make delicious frozen yoghurts. The pear, particularly, works really well with the tartness of the yoghurt.

Sounds good. I love lemon and adore lime. Might try it with lime. Might have to go back to making my own yogurt even...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne, think of it this way: any flavour that compliments the sourness of fresh yogurt will go well with it - hence, most fruits are ideal. However, things that don't go well with the sour note of fresh yogurt (say, chocolate, or coffee bean), will taste horrid.

This said, there are nearly endless possibilites - if you're serving a very spicy dish, a cool heat-free curry frozen yogurt might be just the ticket (I've tried this myself, it's very tasty...)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Darienne,

I rarely eat frozen yoghurt, but David Lebovitz's strawberry frozen yoghurt recipe from The Perfect Scoop is wonderful. It's also very simple. The flavor of the fruit is enhanced by macerating it with sugar (and kirsch) for a few hours before making the ice cream. I use greek yoghurt form Trader Joe's.

I have made Alton Brown's lemon ginger frozen yogurt and very much liked the result. Of course, I have modified his recipe a bit - specifically, I leave out the crystallized ginger, as I don't care for their texture once they are frozen. I also use more fresh ginger than he does, but I juice it to avoid its texture. To juice ginger, I grate it with a box grater (or mince with the food processor if doing a lot), and place a few tablespoons at a time in a cloth and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.

This recipe introduced me to straining the yogurt, which I prefer for frozen yogurt. It makes for a richer result that tastes more like yogurt. I suppose it would not be necessary if using greek style yogurt, which is already strained to some degree.

Darienne, think of it this way: any flavour that compliments the sourness of fresh yogurt will go well with it - hence, most fruits are ideal. However, things that don't go well with the sour note of fresh yogurt (say, chocolate, or coffee bean), will taste horrid.

This said, there are nearly endless possibilites - if you're serving a very spicy dish, a cool heat-free curry frozen yogurt might be just the ticket (I've tried this myself, it's very tasty...)

Frozen yogurt with curry IN it? We do have yogurt on top of many meals, including Mexican instead of sour cream or crema, so why not try frozen?

OTOH, on the vanilla frozen yogurt which is mostly gone now, I've eaten homemade Magic shell (with a combination of Chipotle and Ancho powder in it) and it tastes just fine... ???

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

if you like Scharffen Berger chocolate, you might like dark-chocolate yogurt. The SB has a very sour component to its taste, especially noticeable in teh aftertaste. It would blend right in with the tang of good yogurt.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Frozen yogurt with curry IN it? We do have yogurt on top of many meals, including Mexican instead of sour cream or crema, so why not try frozen?

OTOH, on the vanilla frozen yogurt which is mostly gone now, I've eaten homemade Magic shell (with a combination of Chipotle and Ancho powder in it) and it tastes just fine... ???

Yes, frozen yogurt with (mild!) curry IN it, as the flavouring agent. What I'm thinking about is something like shrimp or chicken adobado in very hot peppers and green cardamom, then grilled, and served with a side of the curried yogurt as a cooling agent as well as a complimenting flavour. Equally, if you make a spicy curried frozen yogurt, it would go well with milder dishes, like chicken breasts sauteed in butter with onions, for example.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Agree with the concept of the "tarter" flavors working better with yogurt. I haven't eaten a ton of it, and haven't had any in an age (the frozen yogurt places around seem to have vanished on the breeze), but I do remember prefering the fruity flavors rather than the sweetish ones. Berries, especially. Blackberry, blueberry, raspberry, all of those. Chocolate or vanilla, eh, not so much. I imagine lemon/lime/tangerine would all be good (and BLOOD ORANGE would be spectacular, as would Meyer lemon ! OH!!) The spices that have been mentioned, cardamom, chipotle, curry, cumin, corriander, all sound good to me. They're fruity enough to work with the sweetish tang of the yogurt. That's where I'd try to go...play off the tang, and back away from the sweet, which I don't think works. Unsweetened chocolate, and I mean TOTALLY unsweetened, like you'd use in a mole, could work too.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Thanks to all for the replies. All very useful. I've not been a huge fan of frozen yogurt but now that I've tried it a couple of times, it seems like a useful addition to the tally. Come to think of it...I never ate ice cream either after a childhood of cheap and dreadful freezer plan stuff. :raz: Until I made my first homemade ice cream in Moab.

Will report back how the lime works out.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Chocolate can work with yoghurt, imo. I used to like nutella mixed in to Greek yoghurt...

We put Magic Shell on our Vanilla Frozen Yogurt and I like it fine. Will try making a chocolate frozen yogurt just to try it.

Do NOT understand the love of Nutella. Think it tastes awful. Gianduja I love. They have only ingredients in common. Please explain. :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Chocolate can work with yoghurt, imo. I used to like nutella mixed in to Greek yoghurt...

Do NOT understand the love of Nutella. Think it tastes awful. Gianduja I love. They have only ingredients in common. Please explain. :raz:

The only explanation possible is that you're from another planet. :laugh: Seriously. Nutella is one of those things... Even though I HATE hazelnuts in chocolate, Nutella is just deliciousness in a jar.

I still think you should try pear and yoghurt. Although I'm thinking guava might also be really really good.

The only explanation possible is that you're from another planet. :laugh: Seriously. Nutella is one of those things... Even though I HATE hazelnuts in chocolate, Nutella is just deliciousness in a jar.

I still think you should try pear and yoghurt. Although I'm thinking guava might also be really really good.

Well, I am a Canadian raised during WWII. That is definitely from another planet. I do love chocolate and hazelnuts. There's actually a chocolate/nut product made by Peanut Butter & Co which I like and make sure we never buy. Plus Callebaut Gianduja was something I kept nibbling on even though it was made from milk chocolate.

And I don't think we get guavas in our local groceries. Too exotic for the local gentry. Could try pear.

But thanks for the help.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I used to make a pina colada frozen yogurt many years ago that was great.............. :cool:

And just how does one work in the liquid? A recipe please? Hmmm...what about a Margarita frozen yogurt?

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I had a problem trying to post earlier today. Each time I clicked on "Add Reply" Firefox would quit.

Finally I think I have solved the problem.

I came across this site a couple of years ago and have tried the Mango recipe.

I have also use the basic one as a starting point, adding my own ingredients (apple compote, sliced peaches macerated with sugar, canned pineapple with grated coconut.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Darienne~

I'll dig through my old recipe boxes in the garage and see if I can find it. Something with coconut milk or cream, crushed pineapple, rum.............you are making me hungry ! I'll find it !

Kathy

More thoughts on frozen yogurt:

It costs more to make than my ice cream recipe unless I go back to making my own yoghurt.

Made Margarita yoghurt last night with Astro 2%, Tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, lime & orange zest. Tastes very good, but a bit closer to sherbet, which DH doesn't like. He goes for the creamy goods.

It appears that the Liberte at 2% has more body than the Astro at 2%.

I have a few extra containers of yogurt, 2% and also Balkan, and will try a few more flavors.

I'm looking forward to trying Kathy's coconut cream/pineapple/rum combo.

Also bought extra bananas (green as can be. Funny how the groceries alternate between having either almost overripe bananas or hard as rock green ones.) Will make Andie's download recipe of Banana/Chocolate Frozen Yogurt.

And then go back to ice cream with half & half and cornstarch. Then try Jenni's recipes.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Regarding bananas in yogurt.

You can get a lot more flavor from bananas by peeling, placing in a bowl and microwaving for 4 minutes, drain the expressed liquid into a small saucepan, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon or two of lemon juice and cook over low heat till reduced to 1/3 the original amount.

Mash the cooled bananas with the liquid and add to the yogurt, blending well then adding the other ingredients.

I guarantee that the banana flavor will be much stronger and sweeter.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett