• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Rey Caoba and Icoa

Prabha

I have an opportunity to buy a case each of Caoba(milk) and Icoa(white). The seller is a chocolatier who is retiring, so I'm hoping the price will be quite good. But of course, one should only buy chocolate that tastes good and is easy to work with. So I wonder if any of you have worked with these chocolates, and what do you think of them?

Also, I'm only making confections for friends and family, so I might have these around for a while. What is the shelf life of chocolate discs?

Many thanks.

I've used both quite a bit. Both are easy to work with and have good viscosity.

Flavor wise, the white chocolate may have more of a chocolate aroma to it. El Rey doesn't use deodorized cocoa butter in their chocolates. I've heard some say they want a more neutral flavor in white chocolate, but I've never found it to interfere with any flavors that I've used with it. It's not as sweet as some white chocolates either.

The milk has a good taste. My first choice is Valrhona, but their prices prevent me from using it more. This one has always been a good second choice.

Shelf life would be a year, maybe more depending on storage.

Thanks so much. I knew I could depend on egulleters to know this stuff :smile:

I know now that he wants $5/lb for it, which is pretty good. Chocosphere charges about $10/lb.