• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onions with ... ?

Shel_B

Saute a mound of thinly sliced onions in butter until just lightly caramelized. Mix in some lemon juice and tarragon. Put half the onions in a greased baking pan, top with some fish steaks or fillets (salmon is really good, mild white fishes work well, too), season fish with a little salt and pepper then top with the remaining onions. Cover and bake at 350 until the fish is done (just a few minutes for the fillets, bit longer for the steaks). My favorite simple fish recipe...with onions.

Sounds delightful. I have a nice little Halibut fillet for tomorrow & this is what I'm going to try. Thanks!

I did some onions with pre-cooked bratwurst :blush: that I'd grabbed at the grocery. Yummy, but I put too much butter in and they were too heavy and rich to be at their best. I could see this in a lighter dish, maybe just a dollop of olive oil, or canola, over greens. Cabbage with bratwurst and onion, anyone?

Forgot to mention that Flammkuchen, Ann. Beautiful, and SO appetizing! Thanks for sharing!

ETA Flammkuchen.

:rolleyes:

Edited by judiu (log)

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Fill a simple closed pie with equal amounts of chopped onions, ham and cheese. Yum.

I do something sort of like this, both as a quiche (not closed, just a bottom crust), and a sort of frittata thing (but only baked, nothing on top of the stove). But in both cases, I add a custard overall.

I'm interested in how it comes out without the custard. Does the melting cheese hold it all together? Isn't it very dense without the custard?

Flammkuchen - a crust topped with Creme Fraiche, bacon and onions cooked in butter.

Flammkuchen%20February%206th,%202010%202

This looks amazing! Is the crust a pie dough type, or yeast, or maybe puff? Looks like yeast, but I can't tell for sure. I think this may be tonight's dinner. Edited by furzzy (log)

I did some onions with pre-cooked bratwurst :blush: that I'd grabbed at the grocery. Yummy, but I put too much butter in and they were too heavy and rich to be at their best. I could see this in a lighter dish, maybe just a dollop of olive oil, or canola, over greens. Cabbage with bratwurst and onion, anyone?

Forgot to mention that Flammkuchen, Ann. Beautiful, and SO appetizing! Thanks for sharing!

ETA Flammkuchen.

:rolleyes:

When we do brats, the onions start with a little butter, but then after the caramelization gets going, we add beer. Then add the brats to that to steam them. Right now I'm getting hungry for brats from the gustatory memories here! ;-)

Each July 4th, several boats would sail from Chicago to Milwaukee for the big fest there. We'd always have lots of brats with caramelized onions steamed in beer. The fireworks at the naval base there were always just full of oohs & ahhs...and went on for well over an hour & a half.

ETA: correct typos :-(

Edited by furzzy (log)

furzzy - The crust is bread dough; the flammkuchen was originally made to test the heat of the oven before baking for the week. At least, that is the legend I heard when I lived in Alsace.

250g plain flour
10g fresh yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
125ml water (lukewarm)
3 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp salt

Dissolve the yeast in the water, pour into a well into the combined dry ingredients, mix the dough, knead and rise for 20mins, knead and rise again for 45mins, preheat the oven to 250, knead and roll out, spread with crème fraîche, onion slices (I see Ann's are pre-cooked, which looks wonderful) and lardons, bake for 10-12 mins.

You have to wash it down with Alsatian beer. It's the law.

Variations:

Forestière - with mushrooms

Gratinée - with gruyère or Munster

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

>>>Flammkuchen - a crust topped with Creme Fraiche, bacon and onions cooked in butter.

Flammkuchen%20February%206th,%202010%202

This looks amazing! Is the crust a pie dough type, or yeast, or maybe puff? Looks like yeast, but I can't tell for sure. I think this may be tonight's dinner.

The crust is bread dough - the flammkuche was originally made to test the heat of the oven before baking for the week. At least, that is the legend I heard when I lived in Alsace.

250g plain flour

10g fresh yeast

1/2 tsp sugar

125ml water (lukewarm)

3 tbsp oil

1/2 tsp salt

Dissolve the yeast in the water and pour into a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Mix the dough and knead, rise for 30 mins, knead and rise again for 45 mins. Preheat oven to 250, knead dough then roll out, spread with creme fraiche, onion slices and lardons, bake for 10-12 mins.

You have to wash it down with Alsatian beer. It's the law.

Thanks. i forgot I have piece of halibut for tonight, but this is definitely tomorrow night!

Furzzy, I did use a yeast dough to make the Flammkuchen. Although, the recipe that the topping came from, used a dough that did not contain yeast.

~Ann

Thanks. My "taster in my mind" told me a yeast dough would be best. And I've now bookmarked a new blog...yours! Will peruse it later tonight. Everything I see you post is magnificent, so I'm sure I'll sure I'll enjoy your blog.

Furzzy, I did use a yeast dough to make the Flammkuchen. Although, the recipe that the topping came from, used a dough that did not contain yeast.

~Ann

Thanks. My "taster in my mind" told me a yeast dough would be best. And I've now bookmarked a new blog...yours! Will peruse it later tonight. Everything I see you post is magnificent, so I'm sure I'll sure I'll enjoy your blog.

Thanks Furzzy. My "taster" told me the same thing.

I like onions stir fry. Stir fry onions with pineapple, pork or beef with tomato sauce, it is yummy. Or you can try onions scrambled eggs, just eggs, onions, salt and pepper to taste, it is one of my favorite. :biggrin:

Good food is a lifestyle, and it's all about food and recipes.

Fill a simple closed pie with equal amounts of chopped onions, ham and cheese. Yum.

I do something sort of like this, both as a quiche (not closed, just a bottom crust), and a sort of frittata thing (but only baked, nothing on top of the stove). But in both cases, I add a custard overall.

I'm interested in how it comes out without the custard. Does the melting cheese hold it all together? Isn't it very dense without the custard?

The cheese hold it all together in there, no need for custard, and the onion and the juices from the ham keep it from getting too dense, in fact, the texture of it is quite amazing. The ham I use is simple cooked ham, but I'm sure smoked ham would do the trick too. The cheese is regular gouda, but I am sure all sorts of good cheese will do.

The cheese hold it all together in there, no need for custard, and the onion and the juices from the ham keep it from getting too dense, in fact, the texture of it is quite amazing. The ham I use is simple cooked ham, but I'm sure smoked ham would do the trick too. The cheese is regular gouda, but I am sure all sorts of good cheese will do.

Thanks for the info & the idea. I'm going to try it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I am from India.

In India, here we have a famous quick time dish known as "Bhel". It's the combination of puffed rice (murmura), and other various sev items where we add chaat masala, to make it more tasteful.

Finally, adding more and more onion cuts by mixing it well with prepared combination, make it more delicious. Have drops of lemon juice from top. Yummy.

Shallot puree. Peel about 250g shallots and saute with butter very slowly for an hour till really soft and intense. Then add a little stock and cream then blitz and pass through a tamis drum - quite simply amazing!

It's a new combination.

That'll come as a surprise to the billions of people who have been eating onions and lady's fingers / okra together for centuries - in the Americas, Europe, Africa and Asia.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto