• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Onions with ... ?

Shel_B

Last week I enjoyed some sauted onions over fresh, grilled tuna on a pizza. Wow! That was delicious, and a new combination for me. What other interesting or unusual onion pairings do you enjoy? I'm looking for some new ideas ... Thanks!

• Like 1

... Shel

I make a nice onion/fennel gratin. 2:1 sliced fennel/onion ratio, half tsp dijon, cream, salt, cover with toasted panko that is mixed 2:1 with parmesan after 25 min at 375 and cook for another 10 min.

PC Onion + marmalade is brilliant.

My wife made some carmelized onion , cheese flans on the weekend that were quite tasty. She used niagara Gold cheese but regular Oka would work just as well I think, and not be nearly as expensive.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

My wife made some carmelized onion , cheese flans on the weekend that were quite tasty. She used niagara Gold cheese but regular Oka would work just as well I think, and not be nearly as expensive.

Now that sounds very interesting. Toots makes the flan around here, but I'd like to treymy hand at it.

Whit is Niagara Gold cheese? Never heard of it. Likewise Oka.

Could you provide a recipe for this dish? Thanks!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Oka cheese. It's traditionally made by the Trappist Monks from Oka Quebec. I would call it pungent. I didn't like it as a kid and my Mother made my Father keep his Oka cheese between the windows in the Utility Room. :raz:

Haven't had any in decades... :sad:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you're into caramelized onions, try using a slow cooker...it does a great job. Sliced onions + butter + time = enough onions for many, many recipes.

This I like. Roughly how much time are we talking on low? Thanks.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you're into caramelized onions, try using a slow cooker...it does a great job. Sliced onions + butter + time = enough onions for many, many recipes.

The eGullet discussion on "Onion Confit Slowly simmered"

You'll find lots of slow cooker & onions info in it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

The eGullet discussion on "Onion Confit Slowly simmered"

You'll find lots of slow cooker & onions info in it.

Thank you. Being a tad overwhelmed on a constant basis by all the myriad complexities of cooking which I have to learn, I hadn't even looked up the word 'confit'. Talk of duck legs leaves me a bit uneasy, so I just ignored it until it was time.

Obviously, it's now time.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Niagara Gold cheese is made by The Upper Canada cheese company near niagara falls. They source the milk from a guernsey herd of a local farm. It is made in the style of Oka , which as Darienne has described is a pretty pungent, washed rind cheese from Quebec.

My wife used a recipe from the cookbook, Niagara Cooks, which basically focuses on seasonal farm to table with ingredients sourced from the Niagara region. I managed to find a website that featured the recipe for the flans Here

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

As an Australian, I think maybe I have some sort of patriotic duty to be a big fan of caramelised onions cooked on a BBQ hot plate (appendix: 'BBQ' in Australia refers to a gas-powered hot plate and, maybe, grill) with sausages and bread and tomato sauce of the most dishonourable of origins.

Onions, especially when caramelised, are my favourite vegetable. I can't think of any reason not to eat them with, well, anything.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Saute a mound of thinly sliced onions in butter until just lightly caramelized. Mix in some lemon juice and tarragon. Put half the onions in a greased baking pan, top with some fish steaks or fillets (salmon is really good, mild white fishes work well, too), season fish with a little salt and pepper then top with the remaining onions. Cover and bake at 350 until the fish is done (just a few minutes for the fillets, bit longer for the steaks). My favorite simple fish recipe...with onions.

• Like 1

Caramelized paiteña onions (they're sweet and red-skinned) with good, bitter marmalade on a toasted bagel. Sooo yummmm.

That sounds tasty. Something to rotate with my occasional farmhouse cheddar and gooseberry jam bagle.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

My wife makes a very simple but delicious pasta dish that is basically caramelised onions and peas. Stir it through macaroni with some fresh mozzarella.

That reminds me and how could I forget!? There's a Deborah Madison recipe in the first Greens cookbook that is caramelized onions with walnuts with pasta. Truly sublime.

I never made it with the rosemary pasta, just with regular store bought pasta, but truly one of the best things I've ever eaten. Here's the recipe. Greens Onion Walnut Pasta

I think it would be easier to make a list of foods that onions don't go with.

Chocolate. At the last eG Candy and Confectionery Conference one of the attendees brought an experiment: she used the onion sugar from the Modernist Cuisine onion gratin recipe to make a ganache. It was... unpleasant.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

My wife makes a very simple but delicious pasta dish that is basically caramelised onions and peas. Stir it through macaroni with some fresh mozzarella.

That reminds me and how could I forget!? There's a Deborah Madison recipe in the first Greens cookbook that is caramelized onions with walnuts with pasta. Truly sublime.

I never made it with the rosemary pasta, just with regular store bought pasta, but truly one of the best things I've ever eaten. Here's the recipe. Greens Onion Walnut Pasta

There is a recipe for caramelized onions with pasta in one of Marcella Hazan's books ("More," I think) that has been a standby of mine for years and years, somewhat similar to the Madison recipe without the nuts. Love it.

I do a caramelized onion pasta, where, after the onions have cooked down in olive oil for about half-hour/45 minutes with some dried basil and thyme, salt, and sugar, they are then deglazed with red wine, balsamic vinegar and a splash of water. Cover the pan, and keep over low heat while the pasta finishes cooking. Save some pasta water, then dump the pasta into the onions, stir around with enough pasta water to make a nice sauce, then garnish with grated Parmesan and chopped fresh herbs (basil, thyme, parsley, etc.). Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy. Dead-bang simple, less than an hour and you've got a GREAT dinner.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

• 1 year later...