• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any good tea worth buying via Amazon?

jsmeeker

Now that my favorite local tea retailer has closed (RIP Cultured Cup in Preston Center), I need a new source for getting good tea. I know there are many good on-line sources, but I am wondering what the king of on-line retailers has available. Why Amazon? Well, I have Prime membership. And I am traveling every week. I can place my orders in such a way that ensures that they arrive on a specific day of the week when I'll be home (i.e. Friday). I may not be able to get that flexibility with other retailers.

So, is Amazon selling any Prime eligible teas worth buying? I am looking for loose tea. Black. I pretty much drink it just in the mornings for breakfast.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Do you mean Cultured cup in Texas? They were my supplier of Marriage Freres Eros, one of my favorite teas.

I'm not sure about Amazon but give Cream Assam a try, Simpson and Vail have it.

Best,

Hank

'A person's integrity is never more tested than when he has power over a voiceless creature.' A C Grayling.

Sad to see the Cultured Cup go--they sponsored some online tastings here that introduced me to a bunch of very nice teas, and I still have a treasured stock of their amazing Lemon Rooibos tea that is very popular wherever I share it. Going to have to find another supplier for that one when mine is running out.

I have not ordered any teas from Amazon, because their teas are pretty limited. I would agree iwth checking out their offerings from Rishi--Rishi's stuff is generally decent, ahead of most of what's available prepackaged in tins--but the variety, quality and selection doesn't match the best specialty online retailers.

Sad to hear about Cultured Cup's store closing. We used to go there to buy L'Opera and Earl Grey French Blue mariage freres teas.

Haven't tried ordering from them online yet, but their website seems to be up and running.

The premium teas I buy via Amazon Prime are:

Mighty Leaf

Harney & Sons

Tea Forté

Here's the page with those selected.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I should clarify that what closed was Cultured Cup's retail store front in Preston Center. This was pretty convenient for me as it was on a fairly regular path of travel. They still operate their mail order. And they still have some sort of tasting room or place you can visit. But it's kinda by "appointment only". You have to call in advance to make sure they will be there. It's not convenient like a store with set retail hours. Also, this othter location is not on a regular path of travel. Hence, Cultured Cup is less convenient. I suppose I could mail order from them, but getting stuff delivered from Amazon ads in some convenience.

All that said, I do appreciate the suggestions on what to try from Amazon. I'm familair with the Harney and Sons brand. that is what they serve at the hotel I stay at in Cincinnati.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I don't know how near you are to the various "fulfillment" centers but a couple of times I have ordered Mighty Leaf Tea before noon on one day at received it the next but only selected the

2nd day free option.

I think I may have received a Tea Forté order the same way - (love their silken tea pyramids)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett