• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bar Rot Hands

san

I have read that this is caused by a combination of citrus, constantly wet, and sanitized hands. Does anyone know of some solutions, other (less costly) than an automatic dishwasher (and new plumbing for it)?

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

The more alkaline the liquid the harder it is on skin. If you have a tendency to eczema, psoriasis or dry skin that would magnify the problem. I'd check with a doc if its a big issue for you.

I suffer greatly from this and have found that the only solution that works for me is to wear gloves while cutting the daily 20 kilos of limes ( we make a lot of mojitos!). Hand cream before bed helps a bit, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Barrier cream. It is like a lotion but dries to form a protective film on your skin that gives the protection of a glove without the floppy nonsense of a glove. It is used in industrial settings as protection from acetone and other nasties. It comes in a variety of solvent formulas (ie - the liquid that you use to remove it) For normal kitchen use the alcohol based variety is good unless you work with a lot of booze etc. Industrial safety supply houses stock the stuff. It will save your hands.

• 4 weeks later...

Sandy have you tried getting a couple of manicures a month? If you go with a plain clear nail polish it will really protect the nail beds. And then Liquid Bandaids a couple times a shift should fix that until your hand stop doing it.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 1 month later...

Thank you everyone. We've all started using gloves since the original post and have found ones that work pretty well. Our nails are about 90% better. Toby, I hadn't ever even thought about a manicure!

Sandy Levine
The Oakland Art Novelty Company

sandy@TheOaklandFerndale.com www.TheOaklandFerndale.com

www.facebook.com/ArtNoveltyCompany twitter: @theoakland

. . . . I hadn't ever even thought about a manicure!

Manicures are wonderful, but only if you are dead certain the place you go to has extremely effective hygiene practices; the risk of contracting a fungal infection is very real (and an even greater issue if your hands are more vulnerable than most people's to begin with). Even places that honestly try to follow proper protocols may not necessarily effectively do. If you have any doubts, you're best off getting together with a friend, and giving each other manicures. Nail polish can cut both ways: it might protect the outer surfaces of the nails a little, but will hold in moisture, and that's probably not great, under the circumstances

For whatever it's worth, when I've had jobs that involved an unusual amount of hand-washing, I've usually reached for plain petrolatum (Vaseline); the important thing is to use very small amounts, adding a tiny bit more, if necessary. I always apply it to the back of one hand, rubbing the two backs together, then make a special point of really working it well in around the entire edge of each nail, and finishing by rubbing the palms very lightly over the backs of the hand (the amount picked up is so small, the palms don't feel greasy). I do this fairly often, every few washes.

I love Corn Huskers, but it simply can't replace the normal skin oils that are stripped away by constant, vigorous washing.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org