• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dishwasher Safe Wood Cutting Boards

BadRabbit

I have a boardsmith chopping block that is a work of art and seems to heal the cut marks. When I'm cutting chicken or meat on it I have thin plastic cutting sheets that I put on top. They can then be washed or put in the washer. Best of both worlds.

I looked at a composite board the other day - what's not clear to me is whether you can sand down the knife-cut damage as you can with a wood board (but not with plastic). Anyone know?

Ummm.. no, I've "resurfaced" my nylon cutting boards many times. Matter of fact, I've been known to pick out used nylon cutting boards out of the garbage or ask the manager for them, trim them up with a table saw, and resurface them on a thickness planer and have "brand new" cutting boards--which I would sell back to the manager.

• 5 months later...

I love using the dishwasher, but my cutting board and my knives are washed each time I use them. Its not so much to protect them from the dishwasher, but because I need them again before the next cycle. We run the DW about every 1 1/2 days. Couldnt go that long without the cutting board. I'm fascinated that its an option for some people.:)

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.