• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting things to do with small eggs

Chris Hennes

Make small Scotch eggs? I have a recipe somewhere which is essentially a croquette with bacalao and a soft cooked quails egg inside.

Since you have MC you could also try the beetroot tea egg recipe.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Cut them open neatly if you can. Cook the insides sous vide or scrambled with cream and butter; sea salt, black pepper and herbs. Spoon back in the shell or serve in a small ramekin. Top with a spoonful of caviar or maybe some shaved white truffles if you want to gild the lily.

Eat, then praise the cook.

Pickled quail eggs are a nice treat, you could try something like that.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I once heard of an April Fool's prank to make your family tiny breakfast using quail eggs and melba toast. Probably not the kind of ideas you were looking for though.

Also good if you have a daughter who professes a desire to be Barbie.

I have not tried these eggs, and am not likely to (for lack of opportunity, not desire), but I would certainly cook a couple straight away (in a simple way) and go from there.

OK, taking your advice, I just cooked up a couple sunny-side up:

DSC_1909.jpg

Alas, they taste... like eggs. I'm pretty sure that any subtle differences I may have thought I detected were my imagination, I doubt in a blind test I could tell these apart from chicken eggs of the same freshness. Still, there must be some fun things I can do with tiny eggs.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Yeah - this is what I don't love about quail eggs -- to me, they basically taste like an egg, and while they're cute, they don't (to me) taste any better than a chicken egg, yet they're less filling but with way more cholesterol. Aside from the novelty and the look of having a tiny egg, I'd just as soon eat a chicken or duck egg.

Try mini Toad in the Hole as a starter for a dinner. Use brioche either square or cut out rounds and use a little circle cutter to cut out the centre. Toast lightly (or sauté in butter in one side) then crack egg into the hole and fry. Serve with crispy fried proscuitto. Maybe fried cherry tomato too.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ucsmmk

Llyn Strelau

Calgary, Alberta

Canada

...I like to play with my food.

I would make deviled eggs using a fluted tip and a pastry bag. Small eggs look so lovely presented this way, and there's a fairly significant amount of playing with food involved. :)

A pain to peel quail eggs.

If you need hard-boiled quail eggs, you can get them in a Chinese store in a can, alread peeled.

dcarch

And they are quite good.

Mmm, I love pickled quail eggs...a great nibble w/drinks. And the little quail eggs absorb the pickle faster than chicken eggs. If you're lazy, you can use the brine from your favorite brand of commercial cucumber pickles.

I use the liquid from my homemade bread and butter pickles. Sweet, sour, spicy and tinted pink with a little beet juice makes for a pretty tiny egg.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett