• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Free Francis Francis X1 vs. Buying a Rancillio Sylvia

DanM

My mother-in-law has a Francis Francis X1 sitting on her counter as "counter art" and is only used when I am there... to the annoyance of my father in law. Apparently, art is not supposed to have any intrinsic function. We have been saving up for a Rancillio Sylvia, based on recommendations written here.

Now they are tired of the art piece and want are offering it to us. My experiencce with it has been limited, but it does not seem like the most accurate machine.

The big question... don't argue with free, or will I get what I pay for and am better off buying a good one.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

If its really free give it a try. espresso really is a learning experience, from the green beans to the roast to the grind and the tamping.

if you are not familiar with Home-Barista, you might learn a few things there:

http://www.home-barista.com

and

http://www.home-barista.com/forums/search.php?keywords=Francis+Francis+X1&terms=all&author=&t=0&submit=Search&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300

good luck!

Edited by rotuts (log)

You could take the FF, use the money you've saved to buy a really good grinder (I don't even know, but does the FF take ground coffee or pods?), start resaving and then when you're sick of the FF and want to move up to the next level, the Silvia will most likely still be there.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

If you are handy and might be interested in some sort of a trade for a Silvia that needs a new gasket, PM me. I have not had the time to mess with it, and I have not been able to find a place to get it looked at. And I think the Silvia is more than I need.

The Francis Francis uses grounds or pods. I have a Bodum Bistro grinder, which seems to do a pretty good job at grinding beans to a fine powder. I put some old beans through at the finest setting and it was like talc powder.

Tikidoc... thanks for the offer, but with a 2 year old and a 2 month old, I don't have any time to spare for tinkering. I will look into the complexity of changing the gasket and will let you know if I change my mind.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.