• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A punch for light drinkers

jnash85

I have been asked to make a punch for a small group of people. These are mostly casual drinkers. Usually cut the liquor in a cocktail by about half. They also enjoy frozen strawberry margarita's.

I would love to make something from David Wondrich's book, but I'm afraid I would be the only one drinking it.

Anybody have any recommendations? I like the look of this one. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/puerto-rican-rum-punch

A punch based on cider (hard cider, I guess? if that doesn't have more alcohol than EU cider) has a quite light alcohol presence. Plus, a lot of punches incorporate some fruit/spices, and the cider meshes well with that (I'd go with a dry cider; a sweet cider based punch would probably be a bit cloyinging).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org