• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fragolino the illegal wine Venezia (Venice) experiences (not the spark

Don Giovanni

Fragolino the illegal wine Venezia (Venice) experiences (not the sparkling) ?

Fragolino the illegal wine Venezia (Venice) experiences (not the sparkling) ?

I have been enamored by this wine with such a big following in the city of Venice... so many Americans go taste the forbidden wine and can never find it when they come home... a strawberry tasting wine from the Isabella grapevine around 3 to 4% RS...not to be confused with the infused wines or liqueurs...

anyone with experience with this wine of Venezia (Venice) if you could please give me a recollection of your TN please...

the Uva Americana or Isabella grape is used to produce it... I do know the Italian government banned this wine due to the uncontrolled methanol levels... I call BS on this statement because we produce this grape in the FLX and it's not a problem ... I have tasted this wine only in America produced by Americans... the purest form has strawberry notes, not from the strawberry, but from the grape...

I also heard they make it with Concord grapes too ? I really don't know if this is true or not...

any help or insights into this wine would be very much appreciated ...

Cheers !!!

PS.. the Isabella grape is the 'Typhoid Mary' due to being the vine that introduced Phylloxera to Europe, maybe the true reason it's illegal...

I'm not good in giving tasting notes about wine. What I can tell is that fragolino rosso can recall a mix of lambrusco and moscato with strong strawberry notes, while fragolino bianco can recall moscato with strong strawberry notes.

As far as I know it was banned in the 80's after that huge methanol mess that happened here. Since its production was limited, I suppose nobody had the economical reasons to try to reintroduce it.

I don't know of any place in Venice that is still selling the true fragolino to their customers, since after the internet boom almost all bacari stopped being totally traditional. Besides that, I suppose that they would give it only to trusty customers, if a foreign tourist asked them a glass of fragolino then most probably they would serve the legal version (cheap crappy wine with added strawberry aroma).

The only place I know where you can find the real old fragolino is this osteria in Treviso:

Osteria Muscoli

Via Pescheria, 23

31100 Treviso

it's one of the few traditional osterie remaining in this region, they are still true to tradition and serve even the rare fragolino bianco (if you ask them, it's not on the list of course). This osteria is just in front of the fish market.

Treviso is a really nice city and deserves a visit for its art. If you go there I can suggest also this pastry shop:

Pasticceria Cioccolateria Max

Via Sant'Angelo, 75

31100 Treviso

and this gelateria (hoping it will remain open, the owner wants to retire):

http://www.ilvecchiogelatiere.it/

They are both outside the city walls, so you need a car or a long walk to reach them.

Teo

Teo

Teo,

you are the very best... I really appreciate your reply... the info will come in handy as I plan to go there this year... it's people like you that make the wine world tick being very informative ... again thanks so very much !!!

Cheers !!!

John