• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Austin Late Night Food Stands/Trucks

Chris Hennes

I'll be in Austin for a couple days coming up here, and from what I've read elsewhere it sounds like there are a lot of excellent food stand/truck options. In particular I'm looking for places to eat when the BBQ has run out, late night places, bonus points for being centrally located and/or selling beer. Thoughts on Taco More, G'Raj Mahal, and El Naranjo? What else should I look at?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

G'Raj Mahal has been universally acclaimed by people in the biz there I trust implicitly. Also check into East Side Kings, a series of food trucks by the same people behind Uchi & Uchiko. Three places, each doing a menu that uses only one heat source each (I think they are fryer, flattop, and grill).

Can't offer any intel on the other places, sorry.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

Hit two East Side King places tonight: the one outside The Greckle, where the ramen was very good, and I'm writing this from the one at Liberty, where the deep fried Brussels sprouts and curry buns were awesome. Pics of the places to come when I get home.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Taco More— we had been warned that they didn't speak much English here, but it wasn't a problem for our server, who seemed reasonably fluent. At least, our order was more or less correct. And man, it was delicious.

Taco More.jpg

G'Raj Mahal was also excellent, far better than the other Indian place we tried (Teji's Foods):

Graj Mahal 1.jpg

Graj Mahal 2.jpg

We ate at two of the three East Side King locations, all very near each other. The first was the location outside The Grackle, in the parking lot:

East Side King 1.jpg

The second was located behind the very divey-looking (but actually very hipster) Liberty:

Liberty.jpg

East Side King 2.jpg

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

• 2 months later...

Next time you need to seek out the Chi-lango food truck. The kimchi fries are incredible as are the bulgogi tacos.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!