• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Contraband" Liquor

ZombieAddict

Not available in the U.S. does not equal contraband.

But it's a good question: Are there any factory/artisan produced liquors from around the world (but not moonshine or old absinthes) that are absolutely prohibited from importation into the U.S.? My guess is no.

But to answer your question, I really enjoy the bottle of Glengoyne 21 y.o. that I picked up last fall at Heathrow :wub:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Not available in the U.S. does not equal contraband.

But it's a good question: Are there any factory/artisan produced liquors from around the world (but not moonshine or old absinthes) that are absolutely prohibited from importation into the U.S.? My guess is no.

But to answer your question, I really enjoy the bottle of Glengoyne 21 y.o. that I picked up last fall at Heathrow :wub:

Just to clarify "contraband" was in jest. I would also like to know of liquors that are not distributed nationwide in the us not necessarily banned. I am more interested in trying something new than breaking the law :)

Havana Club

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

In my experience, airports tend to cater to the high volume sales so it is hard to find unique items. Even Scotch tends to the recognised brands or at least the ones that attract attention through a really high price tag. So your best bet may be to look for something that's a common sip in some part of the world but not the US. You might look for overproof rum. For that matter, in Australia you can get Captain Morgan's dark rum (not spiced) that I haven't seen in the USA for some reason. Even duty free, it's expensive compared to US prices for similar quality.

I'd say just look for something you don't recognise and then buy it. You'll probably see it all over afterwards but that's part of the fun.

Oh, if you are into bitter, you might look for the real Unicum.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

Havana Club

Or, um, anything Cuban :rolleyes:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Havana Club

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting your cultural deprivations. And fairly easy to obtain in the rest of the world. Certainly worth sampling if you haven't before.

Havana Club

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting your cultural deprivations.

I don't know. I love my Havana Club, have 3 of them on the shelf right now, but I'd easily give them up for the selection and prices available at a good well-stocked U.S. liquor store.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 weeks later...

The 7 is nice. I think my favorite (of those available where I live) is the anejo blanco... but that could be due to the fact that there is no other really good white available where I live.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 months later...

I have put Ceylon Arrack, Unicum and Perique on my list as things I haven't seen readily available in the US that might prove interesting to purchase when overseas (or when I have a traveling friend willing to feed my habit!).

Is there any value to looking for the Captain Morgan Black (non spiced) rum while overseas? Or is it just the novelty of the fact that it doesn't seem to be routinely available in the US and is otherwise a largely unremarkable rum?

In my experience, airports tend to cater to the high volume sales so it is hard to find unique items. Even Scotch tends to the recognised brands or at least the ones that attract attention through a really high price tag. So your best bet may be to look for something that's a common sip in some part of the world but not the US. You might look for overproof rum. For that matter, in Australia you can get Captain Morgan's dark rum (not spiced) that I haven't seen in the USA for some reason. Even duty free, it's expensive compared to US prices for similar quality.

I'd say just look for something you don't recognise and then buy it. You'll probably see it all over afterwards but that's part of the fun.

Oh, if you are into bitter, you might look for the real Unicum.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Is there any value to looking for the Captain Morgan Black (non spiced) rum while overseas? Or is it just the novelty of the fact that it doesn't seem to be routinely available in the US and is otherwise a largely unremarkable rum?

I don't think the Captain would add anything to your cabinet that you couldn't get elsewhere. I have a nostalgic connection and it is my basic dark rum but it certainly isn't top shelf. If I wasn't up to my limit I'd pick it up duty free.

You might want to look for a Venezuelan rum if you can't find them locally. Chris Taylor may remember which one we sampled.

You might want to look for a Venezuelan rum if you can't find them locally. Chris Taylor may remember which one we sampled.

Diplomatica, haresfur. Nice rum.

Diplomatica is available in the US. I presume you are refering to the Reserva Exclusiva? A nice rum on the sweeter side in the same range as Zacapa 23 and usuall pretty affordable. I do rather like the Pampero Anniversario and Santa Teresa 1796 from Venezuela although neither are quite as "mature" as the Diplomatica. But I think I prefer the El Dorado 15 to any of them for around the same price and it is usually readily available locally. In fact I have a couple in the liquor cabinet at the moment!

Something that did catch my eye was the Santa Teresa Rhum Orange Liqueur. But that is available here in the US as well although I don't recall seeing it locally.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2