• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bubbledogs by James Knappett.

Literally hot off the airwaves.

Hot dogs and Champers.

Count me in.

Ex Marcus Wareing head chef (and lately cooking at The Ledbury) James Knappett teams up with his wife, the wonderful Sandia Chang, ( Roganic and a load of other top eateries.) to create an of the moment themed restaurant with a difference.

Expect it to be totally rammed from the off.

Bloomberg reporter and top man Richard Vines broke the story.

Here it is.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Hot dogs and champagne ffs. How very recession ironic eh?

Yeh it will be totally rammed with under 30 year old bloggers, who have a seemingly insatiable appetite for naff novelty and no cutlery. As a gimmick I'd give it a few months before they all move on to the next stamp to collect and Knappett goes back to business as usual.

S

Am I missing something, or does this just seem like an off-the mark combination? I can certainly appreciate hotdogs and champagne, but the don't really seem to mesh (I'm thinking, 'Why not port or madeira? Those make sense.'). I'm fine with irony, but this just seems like something you'd have to pretend to enjoy.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Hot dogs and champagne ffs. How very recession ironic eh?

Yeh it will be totally rammed with under 30 year old bloggers, who have a seemingly insatiable appetite for naff novelty and no cutlery. As a gimmick I'd give it a few months before they all move on to the next stamp to collect and Knappett goes back to business as usual.

S

Blimey Nick, that was quick. Your obviously at your desk, not up the allotment. :wink:

Thank the Lord I'm thirty plus and I'm excluded from your bloggers list :laugh:

BTW I keep returning to your site for your review on Dabbous.

Will it be up soon?

@d_goodfellow1

Am I missing something, or does this just seem like an off-the mark combination? I can certainly appreciate hotdogs and champagne, but the don't really seem to mesh (I'm thinking, 'Why not port or madeira? Those make sense.'). I'm fine with irony, but this just seems like something you'd have to pretend to enjoy.

It is gimmicky no doubt.

I think they want to appeal to the young, quick turnover, not so much dosh market,(which is red hot at the moment).With the kitchen table more to show off the chefs undoubted talent.

Its a very clever business concept, and it should run and run.

@d_goodfellow1

It is gimmicky no doubt.

I think they want to appeal to the young, quick turnover, not so much dosh market,(which is red hot at the moment).With the kitchen table more to show off the chefs undoubted talent.

Totally off topic, but could you explain what "dosh market" means? Is it "high end, expensive"? Sorry to be slow.

It is gimmicky no doubt.

Totally off topic, but could you explain what "dosh market" means? Is it "high end, expensive"? Sorry to be slow.

Sorry my mistake really. Dosh is slang for money. So not a lot of dosh, means not a lot of money.

Cheers :smile:

@d_goodfellow1

If this was released on 1st April, I'd have believed it.

Not sure that hot dogs have much relevance in the uk,unlike burgers, but what do i know.

Good luck to them, i hope they aren't offended by people taking photo's because they'll be inundated by them for the first two weeks,but then.....

you don't win friends with salad

I should have read the article - their inspiration is indeed Crif Dogs paired with PDT's cocktails, in NYC. I guess it would be nice if someone didn't have to steal a trend that started in New York, but that's just me.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

How does one "steal a trend"? Surely you set one or follow one? Or is this a case of me not understanding the American use of the English language again?

Make that "steal an idea..."

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Hot dogs work with cocktails, why not champagne...or perhaps sparkling wine?

A cocktail with a hotdog makes sense to me, because, oh, I don't know, maybe because hotdogs are sort of meat cocktails..? But sparkling wines and hotdogs just don't seem like they'd bring out the best in each other. Obviously, this is completely subjective (and, full disclosure: I prefer hotdogs from a stand, early in the morning, with beer).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org