• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thinly sliced chicken breast cutlets

patrickamory

I realize that to most people thinly sliced chicken breasts are "Chicken," but I mainly cook whole birds or bone-in thighs.

I bought these by mistake, and I have absolutely no idea what to do with them that won't dry them out. Any recommendations?

They are decent quality - Murray's.

I know I'll be serving them with a side-dish of chickpea and preserved lemon tagine.

I would consider a multi-layer roulade with the thinly cut chicken separating the layers. By having stuffings of different colors and complementary flavors, it should make for an interesting dish and form the basis for a great presentation.

Pretty often, I pound thinly sliced chicken breast even thinner, spread it with something, roll up with a toothpick and lightly flour and saute. Like this.

I most often use umeboshi sour plums and shiso leaves, but I imagine it'd be nice with, say, harissa and spinach.

A very quick saute of the rolls means that the chicken stays tender and moist.

How about a chicken bastilla?

A simpler option is to pound them thin and make chicken schnitzel. You can have fun with this and use crushed bissli as a crust.

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Ok, slice in to thin strips, cook in butter till it carmalizes a little, add some lemon and some lemon zest, a bit of sugar and salt.

Taste, more seasoning if needed, chicken broth as needed to keep it moist. Try not to overlook.

Melissa

When I get these i like to panfry or grill them and eat them in a sandwich - either as a variation of a club sandwich or with a pseudo-Caesar salad. I have also marinated in soy and ginger wine and eaten them over rice with a vaguely Asian-flavoured coleslaw. They need to be cooked quickly over high heat for best results in my experience. They don't dry out if you're careful not to over cook.

Chicken Milanese with rocket salad sounds delightful too!

Thanks guys! I'm going to take rro's advice. Already pounded the cutlets.

Filling will be red miso paste, chopped apple eggplants and possibly some thai basil (might use it to season the outside instead).

This is pretty much exactly what I did, and below is how it turned out.

chicken.jpg