• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Alan Richman's 10 best restaurants in NY 2012

Fat Guy

http://www.gq.com/food-travel/alan-richman/201204/best-restaurants-nyc-2012

The Ten Best Restaurants in New York, according to Richman, are:

1 The Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare

2 Le Bernardin

3 Corton

4 Eleven Madison Park

5 Del Posto

6 Jean Georges

7 Restaurant Daniel

8 The Salon at Per Se

9 Bouley

10 15 East

Elaboration after the link.

Any thoughts?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

His discussion of Per Se makes no sense to me - yes, the meals are long and expensive, but so are they at Brooklyn fare, Le Bernardin, EMP, etc. I ate #1,2,4,5 and Per Se proper on a trip last month and there just isn't a really qualitative difference between the elements of the experience he is describing at any of them (except that at least at Per Se the seating is comfortable, unlike BF).

Now, I found the food itself at Per Se on the whole disappointing, but that is a separate issue.

Of the restaurants on that list that I have been to, I would rank EMP as a clear winner, then Brooklyn Fare, Le Bernardin, JG/DP tied, then Per Se slightly behind. At the end of the day, a lot of it is obviously just personal preference and luck of the draw (assuming you are not lucky enough to be a regular at any of the places).

I enjoyed EMP, but I would not rate it above either Le Bernardin or Daniel, in terms of execution and overall meal satisfaction. I've eaten at Daniel about 7 or 8 times, and EMP only once, so perhaps I just caught them on a bad night.

In terms of service, I think Daniel trumps all.

Just posted in the Per Se thread, and will expand when I get back to the UK and add pics and so on, but my lunch at EMP was an amazing experience

I do find the criticism of Per Se meals as being so long though. What a baffling thing to say. First of all, I felt Per Se to be a little too short if anything. Second, why would you want a $500 meal to be anything less than long. Third, what restaurants around the world at a similar level are shorter? :blink:

I think there a service gap if you're a tourist or a known entity. I realize this exists in any top spot but my initial dinners at Daniel were fine food wise but the service was standard and the wine service (esp Jean Luc) uninspired. My last visit was with a regular customer and it was a different restaurant altogether.

I've not been to EMP yet but Le Bernardin was very warm, and Per Se maybe a little moreso.

I think there a service gap if you're a tourist or a known entity. I realize this exists in any top spot but my initial dinners at Daniel were fine food wise but the service was standard and the wine service (esp Jean Luc) uninspired. My last visit was with a regular customer and it was a different restaurant altogether.

I've not been to EMP yet but Le Bernardin was very warm, and Per Se maybe a little moreso.

The service at EMP was just stunning. The most engaging staff I think I've ever come across! Can't sing their praises enough. It seemed to be the same for everyone there too