• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

China for 2 weeks - March and April 2012

ddelima

Ni hao!

I recently came back from a business trip to China. Here are some pictures of the food I had, some places I visited and the description of each meal to the best of my habilities. I was lucky that the folks that were traveling with me like to eat too, some were native Chinese and as you can tell from the pictures adventurous eaters as well.

I landed in Shanghai and headed to Ningbo where I spent three days, from Ningbo I went to Hangzhou for a day and from there back to Shanghai for four days. The last stop of the trip was Shengzhen which is located two hours North of Hong Kong.

First dinner was at the rooftop of the Nanyuan Hotel in Ningbo. This is the view from the rooftop.

photo-L.jpg

Chicken soup to start the meal. Very light and balanced, seasoned with ginger and other spices and cooked for a long time. The intent is that you drink the broth while eating the chicken is optional.

IMG0624-L.jpg

Chicken and vegetable rolls. Not much meat at all but lots of delicious crispy skin.

IMG0625-L.jpg

Sea cucumber, rice cake and vegetables. I learned that I'm not a big fan of sea cucumber, just couldn't get passed that gummy texture.

IMG0626-L.jpg

Crab soup with tofu.

IMG0627-L.jpg

Our next stop for dinner was a new 5 star resort named Park Hyatt Ningbo Resort that opened in January 2010 in Ningbo by Dong Qian Lake. Very impressive infra-structure and lots of visitors on business and pleasure. The service and dinner setting was exceptional as well as the food.

Lake view across the hotel lobby.

IMG0628-L.jpg

IMG0629-L.jpg

I couldn't resist and had to visit the kitchen before dinner started. The chef was really proud of his work and despite our communication barriers he showed me around his work stations and some of the food he would be preparing that night. Wok action as its best!

IMG0630-L.jpg

Steamed fish, very tender and delicate, catch of the day at the lake nearing the hotel.

IMG0631-L.jpg

More fish, in a rich nutty sauce. Very good and served towards the end of the meal.

IMG0632-L.jpg

My favorite, braised pork belly, served with bok choy and steamed buns.

IMG0633-L.jpg

IMG0634-L.jpg

IMG0635-L.jpg

"Light lunch" in a downtown Hangzhou restaurant. Before the food, a quick look at the fresh ingredients :-)

IMG0636-L.jpg

IMG0637-L.jpg

IMG0638-L.jpg

Starting wit duck tongue. Very common and found almost everywhere in China from highway rest stops to fine dinning restaurants. Goes really well with beer as a snack.

IMG0639-L.jpg

Lotus root filled with rice and cooked with a sweet sauce.

IMG0640-L.jpg

Jelly fish, also a very common dish, usually served cold.

IMG0641-L.jpg

Smoked bean sprouts.

IMG0642-L.jpg

Fish soup, one of many versions. Very good.

IMG0643-L.jpg

Crispy fried pork with almond, asparagus and bean sauce.

IMG0644-L.jpg

More slow cooked pork belly goodness. Served with white rice. One thing very interesting is that it does not matter how many courses are served (20+ not uncommon) the meal does not end until you are served white or fried rice or a noodle soup followed by fresh fruits.

IMG0645-L.jpg

Still in Hangzhou had dinner at a restaurant facing the West Lake, surrounded by mountains and threes.

Crab soup to start. Served in a orange and seasoned with curry and cilantro.

IMG0646-L.jpg

This cold dish is an assortment of duck cuts. From what I can remember it included egg, duck legs, duck wings and smoked tofu.

IMG0647-L.jpg

Goose liver. Very very rich in taste.

IMG0648-L.jpg

This was an eccentric one to say the least... and tasted quite different than what I expected it to. It's the ovaries of some kind of special lake frog, stuffed inside of a warm papaya. It was lightly sweet, more like a dessert.

IMG0649-L.jpg

Deep fried shrimp cake

IMG0650-L.jpg

Back to Shanghai had lunch at a restaurant in a shopping mall attached to my hotel. I was warned it was going to be spicy food and indeed it was.

Sweet papaya cooked on its own milk. This was a great dish to have in between courses in order to help balance all the spices.

IMG0651-L.jpg

Rice noodles with spices and ground peanuts.

IMG0652-L.jpg

Pork feet with peppers. Very spicy.

IMG0653-L.jpg

Frog and bamboo soup.

IMG0654-L.jpg

Pork with sticky rice

IMG0655-L.jpg

Spicy shrimp skewers

IMG0656-L.jpg

Scallop with noodles an garlic. My favorite course during lunch.

IMG0657-L.jpg

Celery and turnip or bamboo (not sure which...)

IMG0658-L.jpg

Me with picking up peanuts with the giant chopsticks.

IMG0659-L.jpg

Sticky rice soup to end the meal.

IMG0660-L.jpg

Dinner was in downtown Shanghai, traditional Shanghai cuisine. Some of my favorite courses were the fried fish and duck soup.

IMG0661-L.jpg

Duck soup with bamboo. Very good.

IMG0662-L.jpg

And this is my favorite character from the Chinese alfabet :-)

IMG0663-L.jpg

Walking around the streets of Shanghai and came across this fried food paradise. The owner was picture shy but allowed me to take a picture of her.

IMG0664-L.jpg

IMG0665-L.jpg

IMG0666-L.jpg

Another dinner in Shanghai. This time a coworker and I, zero Chinese speaking skills. We managed to order dinner at a Korean barbecue joint and it was fairly decent.

Beef ribs, pork belly, chicken heart and smoked duck breast. The smoked duck breast goes really well on the gril eaten with some powder spices seasoning and wrapped with a lettuce leave.

IMG0667-L.jpg

The next day we were off work duties and traveled to Nanxum District in the province of Zhejiang to do some sightseeing. After one hour of fighting heavy traffic out of Shanghai and one more hour in the highway we got there. Zhejiang is a town stablished in the 13th century and preserved from modern civilization. Most of the buildings, gardens and houses remain intact since.

IMG0668-L.jpg

Plenty of street food offerings.

IMG0669-L.jpg

IMG0670-L.jpg

Chicken feet and pork knuckles.

IMG0671-L.jpg

IMG0672-L.jpg

Fried "stinky" tofu.

IMG0673-L.jpg

Noodle shop.

IMG0674-L.jpg

IMG0675-L.jpg

A butcher.

IMG0676-L.jpg

Vegetables market.

IMG0677-L.jpg

IMG0678-L.jpg

A rice wine producer and shop.

IMG0679-L.jpg

IMG0680-L.jpg

IMG0681-L.jpg

IMG0682-L.jpg

After I took this picture I could not believe what was about to happen. The fisherman came on board his little boat, grabbed each bird by the neck and threw them in the water. After that using a bamboo stick he started splashing the water near the birds. That was the signal for the birds to go deep dive fishing. A few seconds later the birds submerged one at a time with the mouth full of fish. The fisherman then grabbed each bird by the neck from the water to the boat and with a shaking movement the fish regurgitated the fish to his fish basket. I could not believe my eyes!!!

IMG0683-L.jpg

I later googled it and found many sources on the Internet talking about these Chinese fisherman. I also learned these birds are called Cormorant.

Our last meal while in Shanghai was at an ordinary Hong Kong style restaurant. Crispy pork belly with spicy mustard and sugar.

IMG0684-L.jpg

Bean sprouts with soy sauce.

IMG0685-L.jpg

Fried rice with chicken to end the meal.

IMG0687-L.jpg

After I left Shanghai the last stop was Shengzhen. While there visiting a company we do business with I came to find out that they are as well in the food business and are a manufacturer of small appliances. Amongst their product line were small countertop ovens. This picture of baked cookies tested for doneness was taken inside of one of their labs. That day were also testing appliances for popcorn, pizza and liquid nacho cheese... Glad I did not have to eat any of that :-)

IMG0688-L.jpg

Last stop of the trip was in Hong Kong to catch my flight back home. Lots of seafood and pork as well. One outstanding dish, that deserved a picture was this sesame ice cream. Very delicious and a first for me.

IMG0689-L.jpg

And this pretty much summarizes my last two weeks (from a food standpoint). Cheers!

Wow! That brings back memories - it looks like you ate very well.

Did you notice whether the cormorants had rings around their necks to prevent them from swallowing the fish? We saw that when we were in China years ago.

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

Hi NancyH,

I did not notice the presence of rings around their necks but they could very well be there. I was so astonished to see that and thinking "this must be the smartest guy in the world!" that I didn't see anything else :-)

It would be great if would have could that on video...

• 9 months later...