• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: munchymom (2012) - The Week I Ate Whatever I Wanted

Dessert:

DSCN0166.jpg

Homemade strawberry ice cream with Trader Joe's Triple Ginger Thins and Petite Cocoa Batons.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

Breakfast time!

DSCN0172.jpg

A freshly baked (frozen, Trader Joe's) chocolate croissant, strawberries, and a mimosa.

-Harriet M. Welsch

I'm loving how decadent your week is - great to see a hardworking wife and mom

Enjoying herself whilst left unshackled! When my dad used to go away on business I had to literally drag my mum out for a cocktail or cook something she would never normally do as dad/brother/sister wouldn't enjoy it. Great week!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Kim:

I always thought the pictures on the plates were supposed to represent Native American petroglyphs, but I really haven't a clue.

Re: Yquem: I've only had it once before, about twelve years ago (that time it was a 1990), and it was amazing, but you can get really stunning Sauternes for a fraction of the price. I've had very high-scoring ones from $30 - $50 for a (375 ml) bottle. It's worth a look if you like dessert wine.

You are probably right - I'm an Egyptophile (and I make up my own words!), so I just assumed hieroglyphics.

I will search out a reasonably priced Sauternes - I've had other people suggest that to me.

The designs on the plate are definitely from Egyptian hieroglyphic sources. I used to do a lot of artwork with Egyptian designs, have a collection of books on Egyptology and Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar (1927), which has detailed explanations of the pictographs.

The parallel wavy lines indicate running water, usually the Nile a single wavy line the sea. The hare is the goddess Unnut or Wenet, "swift" (fertility goddess). The hawk is of course Horus,(rebirth) the filled in X (on its side) with a wavy line under it and an orb in the "v" indicate the setting sun between two mountains. The bull is the god Apis, (strength and fertility). That's just off the top of my head. I may be a bit fuzzy on some of this.

The combination of the wavy lines and the hare may indicate swift water but I'd have to look it up in Gardiner to be sure.

It's fun to speculate on the message there might be on the plate.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Dinner was at another one of my neighborhood favorites, City Tavern. It's a small local chain that serves very reliable food. They have one of my favorite sandwiches in town:

DSCN0175.jpg

Steak in the Grass. Shaved prime rib, onions, spinach and provolone. With some good fries on the side.

-Harriet M. Welsch

Andie, that's so cool that you know what the symbols mean! I wonder if the person who designed the plate knew, or if they just picked some at random. Maybe the message is "Help, I'm being held captive in a Mikasa factory!"

-Harriet M. Welsch

"Steak in the Grass" - cleverly cute and a flavor combo I enjoy.

So are you a snacker, or do you prefer 3 solid meals?

Also- I know you have been indulging in the treat type of breakfast "drinks", but are you usually a coffee or tea person (or even a Diet Coke in the morning) person?

They all seem to have something to do with life, enjoyment, fertility and the half-round symbol with Horus is the symbol for bread.

Looks like a loaf of bread as it was made in ancient Egypt - they did have communal bakeries in the pyramid worker's villages.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I don't drink any caffeine - I do like the taste of coffee so I sometimes have decaf. My usual morning (and throughout the day) drink is plain seltzer - something about the bite of the carbonation wakes me up and settles my stomach.

I vary between being a snacker and a 3 meals per day person - if the meals are substantial enough I don't feel like snacking. I do like to munch on something salty with alcoholic drinks in the evening. Either rice crackers or nuts, depending on how crazy I'm going with the calories.

Oh yes, another thing I usually do that I took a welcome respite from this week - count calories. I am a person of somewhat substantial size, and so usually I'm trying to "watch" what I eat, even on vacation. I decided to take a break from all that this week, but after tomorrow, it's going to be back to the grind. I really do enjoy food that isn't quite as hyper-indulgent as I've been eating this week, so it's not terrible deprivation or anything. But just taking the freedom to not think about it... I've enjoyed it so much.

-Harriet M. Welsch

Way behind again here.

Hush puppies? Those are shoe where I come from. Wasn't sure where they were in the pic, let alone what they were?

And hard cider? What does hard mean in that context?

Ta

Way behind again here.

Hush puppies? Those are shoe where I come from. Wasn't sure where they were in the pic, let alone what they were?

And hard cider? What does hard mean in that context?

Ta

Hushpuppies are the three tasty-looking items in the upper part of the polystyrene tray:

. . . .

DSCN0161.jpg

. . . .

I've never eaten them but have heard they're extremely tasty (maize is involved); they certainly deserve a proper explanation from someone who know them well!

In the US 'cider' is generally a non-alcoholic beverage, essentially cloudy apple juice; 'hard cider' is alcoholic (but not very).

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Hushpuppies are fried cornmeal/flour dough leavened with baking soda. Anything fried is good but having said that hps are just ok to me. Kind of bland. But then again I'm a Yankee.

Good morning! Today is my last day of blogging, and I want to thank everyone who's followed along. This has been so much fun.

Breakfast:

DSCN0177.jpg

Scrambled eggs and rye toast.

-Harriet M. Welsch

Yes, what gfweb and mjx said re: hush puppies. Deep-fried cornbread nuggets. And "hard" in the context of cider means "alcoholic". "Cider" without that description in the US is unfiltered apple juice.

-Harriet M. Welsch

Final meal of the blog:

DSCN0178.jpg

Thin-crust pizza with prosciutto, artichoke hearts, roasted garlic, mushrooms, and olives. A relaxed lunch on the patio of a restaurant called Brixx.

Thanks to all who followed the blog. I had a great time doing it.

Edited by munchymom (log)

-Harriet M. Welsch

I like rye toast (dry) with just a hint of orange marmalade along with my eggs :)

You mentioned that you are a seltzer drinker. I like it in the morning especially with a hit of fresh citrus juice. Revs me up. Currently I am purchasing the Safeway brand in 12 oz. cans and it is quite economical though I have been following our Sodastream topic. How do you buy yours?

I have a Sodastream and I love it. I don't think I'm saving any money over buying seltzer at the store, but not having to lug the bottles around is nice. I like to squeeze a bit of lemon or lime in. I do have some of the soda syrups, and also that Mio stuff works well for flavoring.

-Harriet M. Welsch

I have a Sodastream and I love it. I don't think I'm saving any money over buying seltzer at the store, but not having to lug the bottles around is nice. I like to squeeze a bit of lemon or lime in. I do have some of the soda syrups, and also that Mio stuff works well for flavoring.

I love my Sodastream, too. I honestly don't know how I lived without it lol. I also order a case of these

every month. I love the taste of the canned water, too.

Thanks for blogging! It's been fun watching your week of decadence :) Now I want pizza for dinner.......

Edited by Shelby (log)