• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shop Rite

John

Have to agree with you about the Rutherford store, Ghost...have you tried driving  all the way over ( :raz: ) to the Lyndhurst one yet?  Much nicer!

You are so right! I generally go to the Lyndhurst Stop & Shop when I'm heading that way tho, it's usually less crowded.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Opened the container of 1/20 Trop this a.m.  Freshly opened, the damn stuff has that fizzy aftertaste.  It's going back. :angry:

Jeez, I've never had that problem with the OJ, your store must truly suck.

~~~

Anyway, we just got back from the madhouse that is ShopRite in Englewood on New Years Eve. Jason wanted to leave once he saw the parking lot. And, he claimed to have a headache. The only thing which got him in was my secret weapon -- lobsters were on sale for $5.99/lb, up to 5 lbs.

Now, normally, they only have 1-1.5 lb chicks for $9.99. I never buy those, who knows how long they've been waiting in the tank. However, once or twice a year they have this lobster sale, and when they do, they get in the big monsters. In fact, they only had the little chicks and the 5+ pounders (I wanted to get 2 3-pounders). We got two, one is just a hair over 5 lbs, the other is over 6! (Even though the circular said the sale was for up to 5 lbs, at the fish counter we were told there was no limit, it is a 24 hour ShopRite, but they close at 9 tonight and are not open tomorrow, so I suppose they wanted to clear out the stock, I don't know if was unlimited earlier in the week.)

I just wanted to get the one larger one, but Jason got big eyes (and his headache went away, magically!) so we got both. I guess it's lobster salad for lunch tomorrow.

Like I said, I never buy the regular lobsters, but when they have this sale, they just get so many more in stock that there is a brisk turnover and you know they're good. The fish counter lady was pulling them out with that suction cupped grapper thing, click, and they looked frisky.

They will be sacrificed to Baby New Year later this evening.

Behold, the 6.5 Pounder:

gallery_2_4_1104540316.jpg

That's a half-sheet pan he's filling up

gallery_2_4_1104540365.jpg

Always look your dinner in the eye

gallery_2_4_1104547083.jpg

Rachel's plate: meat from 1/2 the 6.5 lb lobster, boiled potatoes seasoned with Zatar, butter/lemon sauce, creamed spinach

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Oh my that's a big one. Nice!

Yes my ShopRite does suck. After exchanging the OJ (no questions asked), I found tapioca pudding on their shelves that was 2 months past the expiration date.

I must add that this is the first time I've gotten OJ that's gone bad in 13 years of shopping there. Still, it's really like a time warp in that place - limp lettuce, moldy onions & taters - it's like a crummy grocery from 30 years ago.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

I took advantage of ShopRite's sale on Filet Mignon this week - 4.99 / lb with PP card. I used to trek to the Livingston one, until I tried to split an order (no one behind me) to use 8 coupons. Checker said I couldn't do it, was againts company policy -- haven't been back since. Millburn, and Springfield stores have let me do two or even 3 orders to maximize my multiple identical coupons. I should go to West Orange, but got used to the others when WO was being built, and haven't been back except to pick up prescriptions or emergency foodstuffs.

Anyone know what they are adding to the Springfield (on Morris Tpke) Shoprite with the very small construction they are currently doing?

• 1 month later...

free range austrlian beef filet on sale this week with pp card - 3.99/lb, limit one. got one about 3.5 lbs for 19.80. cut it up into 10 steaks(about 1") and the tail piece that was summarily seared, finished in the oven and sauced with a sauce of shallots, port and beef stock. :wub:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

free range austrlian beef filet on sale this week with pp card - 3.99/lb, limit one.  got one about 3.5 lbs for 19.80. cut it up into 10 steaks(about 1") and the tail piece that was summarily seared, finished in the oven and sauced with a sauce of shallots, port and beef stock. :wub:

I got one yesterday, used the tip in a broiled teriyaki inspired dish and am thinking on what to do with the rest. Probably steaks but what to do, what to do. . .

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

I got one of the beef tenderloins yesterday. Looking over the receipt on the way to the car, I noticed the discount did not get subtracted. While Jason loaded the car, I went back inside to get my discount. This was totally worth doing, as if they make an error like this for an amount over $10, they not only adjust the price, but give you a $10 bonus. The 4 lb tenderloin ended up costing us about $2.

Shoprite still had pork at 40% off. I've got more pork in my freezer than a sausage factory. I had already bought 2 whole loins that yielded 3 large roasts and 15 fat chops. Today they had a 19# Bone in fresh ham for $16 that i just couldn't leave in the store, and just for sh*ts and giggles I bought 3 bone in Boston Butts for 5-6$ a piece. They'll look right pretty in my smoker this summer!!

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

• 2 weeks later...

Items of note today at ShopRite.

1) Eggs - Large eggs, 2.5 dozen packages, 2 for $5. That's $1 per dozen. I go through about a dozen a week, so I stocked up. Takes up half a shelf in the fridge, but they're pretty fresh, so they should last the month+ it'll take to use'm up.

2) Stripped Chicken backs. This is for the stock makers. Usually, I buy the family pack of leg quarters at .59/lb to make stock. Sometimes I suppliment with the stripped backs and/or wings. However, both of these are more expensive than the legs. In fact, the stripped backs were .69/lb last time I bought them (seems weird to me, being that there's so little meat on them). Today they were .41/lb. I would have stocked up or just bought them to make more stock, but I just made stock recently and there's no room to store the bones in the freezer (because it's full of soup and frozen brussels sprouts and tater tots! :laugh:).

3) Mushrooms - 10 oz packages of white or "baby bella" (cremini) mushrooms for .99. I think this was an in-store special though, it wasn't in the circular, so your store may not have them on sale. Guess I'm making mushroom soup soon.

I don't know if it is just the Nutley Shop Rite but I purchased whole chickens for .49 a pound, some brand I never heard of the label was in Spanish. I have one in the freezer and the other made some mighty fine stock.

Lisa

That's probably the same brand that I buy the family-sized (~10 lbs) bags of leg quarters when I make stock. I haven't seen the whole chickens at that price before. However, a different brand was on sale last week, I'm think Aaron/Adam/some male name that begins with an A, maybe. Anyway, these roasters were quite large, but I think they were .69/lb.

• 3 months later...
Big Lobsters on Sale at Shop Rite.

3+ pounders for $5.99/lb. But they only had 4.5+. Guess what we're having for dinner tonight?

Rachel,

Are you just going to steam them, or prepare them another way? How's the fish dept at your ShopRite?

It seems OK, I guess. I don't buy a lot of fish (Jason doesn't like most fish), but when I do, it's usually at Han Ah Reum. The fish at the Englewood ShopRite is mostly pre-wrapped, they do have kosher fish (wrapped) at the fresh fish counter.

As for the lobster, see my post above, click, for more details about SR's occasional lobster-fest. I steam them in seasoned water, about 1-2 inches at the bottom of my 16 quart stock pot. When I get these big ones only one at a time fits in there. Tonight we'll be having them with corn (12 for $1.99) and coleslaw.

Another lady at the store said she didn't want to buy the large lobsters because last time they were tough. She had the store cook them. Well, duh. I don't do that -- kill'm yourself!

I don't buy a lot of fish (Jason doesn't like most fish), but when I do, it's usually at Han Ah Reum. The fish at the Englewood ShopRite is mostly pre-wrapped, they do have kosher fish (wrapped) at the fresh fish counter.

For the best fresh fish in the county, Maywood Seafood gourmet is worth a special trip. The very freshest fish ever, with some beautiful wild salmon (no coloring) really fresh clams, mussels, and lobsters and a variety of other market offerings. Don't be fooled by its hole-in-the-wall appearance.

Maywood Seafood Gourmet

103 West Pleasant Avenue

Maywood, NJ 07607

201-843-8558

How fitting that this thread was resurrected. Today I bought a 6 lb. lobster from Shop Rite. Generally speaking, I hate that store and haven't been inside one for years. But I had the yearning for a lobster the size of a lap dog, so tonight was lobsterfest. Did a Lobster Mac and Cheese adapted from Thomas Keller. Topped the bisque, orzo, marscapone creation with medallions of lobser tail cooked in beurre monte. Then served that with smoked chanterelles and a composition of morels and sping peas in a balsamic, demi glace and truffle reduction. Mmmm, Shop Rite, you did me good.

edit: In no way shape or form were the mushrooms, demi glace, and truffles sourced from Shop Rite. That must be made explicitly clear. We can thank real grocers, like Wegmans and Whole Foods for that.

Edited by BryanZ (log)

Generally speaking, I hate that store and haven't been inside one for years. 

Please be aware that the ShopRites are not a homogeneous operation. They are a Cooperative, with many different companies operating their own group of ShopRites. And there are huge differences among them. Up in Bergen, we have Glass Group and an Inserra Group. They are very very different stores. I prefer Glass. I've heard that the Singer stores in Hudson county are mediocre, but the best ShopRites are down in Monmouth area and the name of the group escapes me now.

I bought a 3+ pounder this morning and had him for lunch! I did have them steam him for me - I am not thrilled with the idea of killing things - even when I want to eat them. Don't get me wrong - I am not squeamish about him *being* killed - I just don't want to be the one to do it.

P.S. It was delish! I love that there is so much meat in the body and little legs of these big'uns.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Generally speaking, I hate that store and haven't been inside one for years. 

Please be aware that the ShopRites are not a homogeneous operation. They are a Cooperative, with many different companies operating their own group of ShopRites. And there are huge differences among them. Up in Bergen, we have Glass Group and an Inserra Group. They are very very different stores. I prefer Glass. I've heard that the Singer stores in Hudson county are mediocre, but the best ShopRites are down in Monmouth area and the name of the group escapes me now.

I ran across an obit for Ray Inserra earlier this week. (I think that was the first name. Anyway, 72, apparently the Patriarch of the Inserra Group.)

I wonder if this bodes changes in the operation.

Sorry, that was a bit off topic. To get back to the important stuff, my local SR is having a great 1/2-price sale on those Ferrero hazelnut chocolates. Not sure if this is just a one-off or chain wide. Anyway my chocolate closet is almost full now.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Must be an in store special. Not on sale on the online shopping list. (which is your local store?)

Rutherford - possibly the worst ShopRite in the state. It's a real time warp. Sometimes I think it has funky charm, others it just ticks me off. Decent meats but a borderline regrigeration system, you really gotta watch yourself.

Generally nice folks who work there though, I give 'em points for customer relations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Last week was extremely crazy, so I took the opportunity (read: excuse) to try out Shoprite in Clark's "Shop at Home" service. It worked out better then I expected, honestly. I paid an additional $10, but it was worth it to have someone else do the shopping, and help load it in my car. They picked out similiar quality to what I would have chosen, and I didn't have any dissapointments. Oh, and they through in a few samples, one of their pudding cakes, a bottle of a new organic green tea, and some new mini candies. Later I was sent a followup email that said every 5th use of the service would have a free service charge. I'd probably use it again.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley