• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nice new snack - Savory granola bars

Emily_R

Hey all -

I tried an unusual and really tasty new snack yesterday. They're called Savory bars, made by Sheffa. They come in Rosemary, Sesame, Everything, and Spicy versions -- I tried the Rosemary One. They're basically savory granola bars, made with a mix of grains (quinoa, amaranth, etc) and legumes (chickpeas). While I wish they had more calories (they've only got 140), they still manage to pack in 8 grams of fiber and 4 grams of protein. It took a little while to get over the learned association that granola bars would be sweet... But when I did the bars were satisfying, salty but not too salty, and, well... savory.

Has anyone else tried these?

Emily

it appears they have them in a supermarket literally across the street from my office, I'll definitely look for these, I like the concept. I keep a "snack drawer" in my desk and these would be good for my savory cravings.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

I'll have to find these and give them a whirl. I've tried Journey bars and they were just okay. This has been on my list of things to try and figure out making at home because I hate, hate, hate sweet things for breakfast and would love a portable thing to eat out of hand in the morning that doesn't involve chocolate or peanut butter.

• 4 weeks later...

These sound pretty amazing actually. They sound like a much healthier alternative to the more commonly found sweet ones that I am used to. The fiber and protein ratio to calories is pretty amazing and this would also be great for people trying to cut calories of course.

I just checked the price and they look pretty expensive. Online retailer is selling them for $24 for 8 bars. Yowza $3 a bar is a little pricey, but I'm assuming they are technically filed under health food, which is always a little more expensive.

No doubt I am going to try one of these next time I run across them. I at least have to see if they are worth the price. :)

P.S. I am on the west coast and I'm hoping they are wold here.

• 1 month later...

whoah, $3 for one bar? Count me out. Other than that I really like this idea, I'm not a fan of sweet stuff at all, would be great to have a savory alternative to a bag of potato chips, I'd be all over that. At a buck a bar that is.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog