• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BreadHitz workshops (Ciril Hitz)

tikidoc

We will be going on vacation in July and it so happens we will be in RI/MA at the same time as a one day workshop by Ciril Hitz. Minor modifications to our schedule would allow me to attend (10 hours in the car with kids in one day instead of stretching the drive to 2 days with a ton of stops). Has anyone here attended any of these workshops? Are they worth the time and money? The one that fits our schedule is an 8 hour workshop titled "Artisan Bread Fundamentals".

I'd say that I am at least an intermediate home baker, and the description says for "all levels". I have and really like a couple books by Ciril Hitz and he seems like a good teacher from what I have seen on youtube.

Thanks for any input!

Jess

I have taken six classes with Chef Hitz, although not the exact program you are contemplating.

If I had to choose my 3 favorite classes/instructors, he would be one of them. His instruction is clear and straightforward. His formulas work. The end products are always solidly great. He knows the science and applies it. He also knows the traditions of the craft:

gallery_35993_6678_189279.jpg

Ok, ok, we get a little silly sometimes....that's Chef Robert Ellinger CMP, CEPC (Owner, Baked to Perfection, Port Washington, NY) wearing a variety of artisan breads, locked in an embrace with Chef Hitz. -Photo taken at 6am before most students were even awake for a 9am class.

Seriously, I have implemented his formulas in commercial bakeries and they have never failed to make me seem like a genius. His stuff doesn't just work consistently, it's the best most people have ever tasted. And, he streamlines procedures so that it can be profitable. Taking his classes and buying his books and DVDs were some of the best decisions I have ever made. And, if you go, tell him that I showed you 'that picture.'

I can't vouch for Ciril's courses, never having taken one, but I have gotten to know him over the years and believe that he's a dedicated, organized, knowledgeable teacher with sacks of integrity. I talked to him just the other day about his new set-up, and it sounds spectacular.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I have certainly enjoyed his books. Specifically, his bagel, baguette and biscuit recipes are all go-to's. I have probably made his bagel recipe 50 times and they always come out perfect.

OK, I guess I need to figure out how to get there on time. We need to be on a ferry from Wood's Hole on Sunday and I have to work Thursday, and the class starts 8 am Saturday. So I think if we get a few hours of driving in Thursday evening, we should be able to make Providence on Friday. Ugh, I hate I95 traffic. Sounds like it will be worth it though.

And yes, Chris, I will post a full report!

I am actually thinking of taking the sweet dough class on the 15th.

I have taken two of his sweet dough classes and gotten more mileage from them than anything else. Every step he teaches is incredibly useful -no time is wasted, everything handles easily, finished products look and taste great. It will seem almost too simple, but, it's always perfect. Better than both the culinary school I attended and the program I teach in.

If I was making a trip specifically to take a course, this would not be the one I would choose, but this is the only one that could fit into our schedule due to the ferry reservations (which are very difficult to change). On the other hand, I would like to take advantage of any opportunity to learn from someone like Chef Hitz. The hubby is just about convinced, so looks like I am going to sign up.

I am actually thinking of taking the sweet dough class on the 15th.

I have taken two of his sweet dough classes and gotten more mileage from them than anything else. Every step he teaches is incredibly useful -no time is wasted, everything handles easily, finished products look and taste great. It will seem almost too simple, but, it's always perfect. Better than both the culinary school I attended and the program I teach in.

Thanks, good to know, and glad you mentioned it seeming almost too simple because I wondered...so great to know it's well worth it.

OK, sign up sent in. I will make sure to post a report afterwards.

To anyone who likes biscuits, I recommend purchasing his book for the basic biscuit recipe alone. It's a special occasion food in our house (loaded with butter) but is simple and really delicious. And his bagel recipe in the other book is foolproof. He uses half each regular bread flour and high gluten flour, and I modify it slightly to use about 80% King Arthur Sir Lancelot (high gluten) and 20% kamut, but either way, it works beautifully.

So, July 14th, who's going to join me???