• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Question about Sugar Blowing with Only a Copper Tube

minas6907

Hey everyone.

Lately I've been doing some pulled sugar projects, I just got a heat lamp, and that combined with a formula for pulled sugar I stumbled across on ChefTalk that was a little different then I've been using, I've been having some good results. I havent attempted blowing any sugar, just making some flowers and trying to be artistic with the help of some pastry rings. But check this video out:

I do think its interesting that he's blowing the sugar with just a copper pipe. Now I did see a $16 sugar pump on amazon, but from there it goes to $64ish all the way to $120 or so. I want to know peoples opinion, like...is that a safe thing to put my mouth on? I would like to go to Home Depot and get a 1ft section of 1/4inch copper pipe, but is there any health concern? For some reason I feel like things would get trapped on the inside of the pipe, but I guess nothing ever will go inside there except for water when I wash it. All in all, I just wanted to see if maybe blowing by mouth is more common then I realize, and any things to consider, because a sounds alot more attractive then a $64 pump I wont use too often.

Thanks all.

If you blow like that you're blowing a LOT of humidity into your sugarwork. You also cannot see it very well to see if it's even.

I use a blood pressure pump bulb like THIS ONE you can get them at a good pharmacy or medical equipment store, the sort of place that sells braces and crutches and such.

Huh.

Well maybe its worth it to get this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Sweet-Wise-Inc-Sugar-Blowing/dp/B005SEUIKK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333605191&sr=8-3

The pump looks identical. Lisa, would you purchase the pump bulb, rubber tube, and metal pipe separately and then assemble? I'm asking because I was looking at the picture from the link above, is the metal pipe just sort of stuck into the rubber tube, or is it adhered with anything? I've never used a sugar pump or seen one in person, so I dont really know whats standard.

I have never used a metal pipe. I get some of the rubber tubing that is sold for the pump. The pharmacy has big rolls of it and they will cut off whatever you need. I use a connector at the end. The hardware store sells a double-ended connector that looks like the metal bit sticking out of the pump, they cost a couple dollars, it fits in the tubing very snugly and because it's tapered on both ends, it has a small tip and can be used to form small shapes. I hope I explained that sufficiently...

That kit looks pretty good. My outfit cost about half that much but involves some driving around.

(edited for clarity)

Edited by Lisa Shock (log)

Thanks for the reply Lisa. I havent been able to locate just a pump at a pharmacy, only full kits, but I think I actually will go for the one you posted in your post, thats $6 plus free shipping, while the sugar pump kit that I found is $18, but theres about $9 worth of shipping attached to it. Thanks for your help, hopefully I'll report back soon with a blown figure.