• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lao-style mortar and pestle

seabream

Is a Lao-style mortar and pestle worth purchasing? I'm talking about a mortar and pestle like this one:

http://store.gourmetsleuth.com/lao-mortar-and-pestle-P45.aspx

I've been using a Thai-style granite mortar and pestle to make the pastes/sauces for my SE Asian salads (such as som tam), and then to very gently incorporate all the ingredients of the salad together. I understand the granite mortar and pestle is not the right tool for the job, and that the clay one should be used for this purpose.

I'm wondering if purchasing a clay mortar and pestle will make a visible difference in how my SE Asian salads turn out.

I have a Lao style ceramic mortar with the wood pestle. I make som tam in it. As long as you don't pound the papaya to mush, I do not see why you can't do the same job with the granite mortar you have. Another approach would possibly be to get a wooden pestle to use for softer jobs.

I have one of those, but I bought it for around $5 at an Asian market. I only use it for the SE Asian salads, but it's worthwhile because it's got more capacity than my granite mortar and pestle. It's also more bullet shaped, which is great because you make the dressing in the bottom of the mortar and it doesn't splash out when you're mixing the salad.

If you make a lot of salads, it's worth it. You just might be able to find a cheaper one if that matters to you.

nunc est bibendum...