• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite burger bun recipe?

HowardLi

I've made these several times--

http://www.gourmet.com/recipes/2000s/2008/06/hamburgerbuns

--and recommend them highly. Also good for hot dog buns, lobster roll, parker house rolls, etc.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I modified the King Arthur recipe above to substitute honey for the sugar and include a preferment (also converted recipe to metric weight amounts). I usually brush the buns with milk after they bake. I think that this version has a little better flavor and keeps better.

You can also use this recipe to make pretzel rolls: After 2nd rise, boil rolls for 30 seconds on each side in 8 quarts of water with 1/4 c baking soda and 2 tbsp sugar. Brush with egg white before baking and sprinkle with pretzel salt. Bake the same as for the burger buns.

Ingredients

Preferment

154 gram Water

154 gram All-purpose flour

pinch Yeast, Active Dry

Dough

310 gram All-purpose Flour

50 gram Water

2 tbsp Butter

1 ea Egg

79 gram Honey

1 tsp Salt

½ tbsp Yeast, Active Dry

Instructions

Combine ingredients for preferment and ferment overnight.

DOUGH: Combine remaining ingredients with preferment and knead until gluten is fully developed (about 6-8 minutes with a Kitchen Aid on speed 2).

Let rise about 1 hour at room temperature.

Divide into 8 pieces. Shape into balls and let rest for about 20 minutes.

Flatten balls and let rise for 50-60 minutes.

Bake at 375F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Edited by cmflick (log)

My personal favorite is the White Bread Variation 1 recipe from Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice". I prefer buns made with dry milk solids to a buttermilk white bread (same book, variation 2).

His buns in "Artisan Breads" are very good as well.

Edited by BadRabbit (log)

My personal favorite is the White Bread Variation 1 recipe from Reinhart's "Bread Baker's Apprentice". I prefer buns made with dry milk solids to a buttermilk white bread (same book, variation 2).

Our favorite is variation #2 using buttermilk. They are especially good when buttered and toasted on the griddle. They also freeze very well.

I don't have it on me right now, but a friend gave me a recipe that she says is from Julia Child. There was a mistake in transferring the recipe, and I've been using buttermilk in it instead of milk. I make slider buns with it for work, and everyone loves them.

Edited by RWood (log)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They were tasty, but a little on the sweet side and they didn't rise quite as much as I wanted them to. Oh well, they were worth making.

EDIT: These were from the KA recipe. Sorry for the orange peels.

IMG00256-20120519-1754.jpg

Edited by HowardLi (log)