• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good deal on VitaMix

tikidoc

For anyone who is looking for a VitaMix, you might want to check out Sur la Table tomorrow. It goes on sale for $400 ($100 off). This is pretty much the 5200 with the 64 inch carafe in brushed stainless with the CIA insignia on it. I don't think I would pay much extra for the stainless (on the VitaMix website, the stainless machines are $50 more), but this is about as good of a price as I have found anywhere for a 5200 (including Costco), and the stainless is a nice bonus. It comes with what appears to be a decent 3-ring binder cookbook ("Create Recipes") a small bonus CIA cookbook, and a DVD.

I am finally getting my high-end blender! It's a good deal, so I thought I would let the community here know, in case anyone is planning to get one soon.

Jess

Really, all the consumer/home models out there are some sort of variation on the 5200 (I confirmed this with VitaMix). Same "2HP" motor, some minor cosmetic differences, some with different pitchers (this is the 64 oz with the soft rubber coated handle), different books. But the base is essentially the same. The finish on this one is brushed stainless.

The only non-commercial model that is different is the Professional Series 500, which has a couple of presets for soup and smoothies, etc., probably to compete with the similar settings on the BlendTec. But even the 500 has the same motor, just a couple more bells and whistles. And a substantially higher price tag.

The top end commercial model, the VitaPrep 3, has a bigger motor ("3HP, whatever that means in a blender) and a shorter (3 year vs. 7 year) warrantee. The carafe is polycarbonate (not BPA free). You can get it on eBay for just under $500.

Unless you go for the refurbished one from the VitaMix website, this is about as low a price as I have seen on these things, and I have been watching them for a while. The Costco price at a demo is $400, in black or white with a different cookbook and the same carafe. The current Costco deal (online order) is $500 but includes a dry carafe as well as the standard 64 ounce one and only comes in black.

I personally like the stainless a little better than black or white, and that is a $50 upgrade on the VitaMix website.

Opted for the refurbished one, been wanting one for a long time. Agar fluid gels, here I come! Between this, Modernist Cuisine, Sous Vide Magic and countless other books and tools egullet has proven rather deadly to my wallet!

Opted for the refurbished one, been wanting one for a long time. Agar fluid gels, here I come! Between this, Modernist Cuisine, Sous Vide Magic and countless other books and tools egullet has proven rather deadly to my wallet!

No kidding. I'm still holding out on Modernist Cuisine but eGullet is responsible for my VitaMix and my SousVideMagic/FreshMealsMagic. Plus a whole bunch of chocolate molds and an airbrush (that was on clearance, but still).

The Vita Prep 3, at $475 should definately be a consideration by anyone considering a Vita Mix.

The "official" line from VitaMix is that the extra HP (3 vs 2 in the 5200) is for driving the heavy duty cooling fan, but that's bunk. I've owned several VitaMix units over the years, and we use ours every day.

The 3HP Vita Prep (there is a 2HP Vita Prep as well), is definately stronger with thick mixtures. The Vita Prep 3 doesn't bog down nearly as much as the 5200 with the really tough stuff.

Better cooling, spare parts included (an extra mesh gear - the part on the mixer that the container connects to), and a very nice chef's cookbook geared towards restaurant, rather than home recipes make it worth hunting a Vita Prep 3 imho.

You won't go wrong with any of the models, but I like the extra bit of "heavy duty" in the Vita Prep 3. If you buy it from JL Hufford @ $484, you'll also get a case of 5 different iced coffee drink mixes...about 20 pounds, enough for several hundred drinks ;)

I have the Vita Mix Creations. I got it at QVC for a Today's Special Value. I like it a lot, however I've watched the BlendTec demo at Costco numerous times and now I wish I would have bought that instead. I think its a better value. I ended up buying the dry blade jar for the Vita Mix for another 100.00. I also like that you dont have to tamper down whatever you're making with the blendtec. I like all the pre-sets too. If I had to do it over, I'd go for Blendtec. Its 350.00 at Costco.