• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner With President Barack Obama

The incredibly talented staff at Aurora Provisions served President Obama last night during a campaign swing in the Northeast USA:

Dinner for President Barack Obama at the Portland Museum of Art

Friday, March 30th 2012

First Course –

Local Greens with Aroostook County Potatoes, Sunset Acres

Goat Cheese Timbales, Pickled Laughing Stock Farm Beets

and Maine Mead Works Mead Gastrique

Standard Baking Breads & Sweet Local Butter

Illahe Gruner Veltliner Willamette Valley Oregon 2010

Entrée -

Bourride of Gulf of Maine Cod Loin

in a fragrant Tomato-Fennel Broth

with Aioli over Mashed Spring Dug Parsnips, garnished with Dandlion Sping's Micro Greens

Alexander Monmousseau Vouvray Sec Ammonite 2010

Dessert-

Cornmeal Cake with Preserved Peach Sauce

& Maple's Organic Ginger Gelato

Aurora Provisions gratefully acknowledges the support of the following local farmers, fisher people & producers

Leavitt & Parris, Standard Baking Co., Browne Trading Co., Linda Greenlaw, Ned Swain of Devenish Wine Co., Allagash Brewing Co., Cold River Distributors, Broadturn Farm, Dandelion Spring Farm, Echo Ridge Creamery, Farm Fresh Connections, Farmer Brown Organics, Laughing Stock Farm, Maple’s Organic, Nature's Circle, Nezinscot Farm, Rosemont Market, Sunset Acres Farm, Wealden Farm.

Goodnight and Good Show!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I'm chums with some of the staff at Aurora - one chef told me last week he still didn't know the menu or the ingredients, and wouldn't until he walked into the kitchen that afternoon.

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Looks like a very nice menu - hope the shout out to suppliers has a positive impact on their sales- not jute about unnecessary descriptions like "spring dug parsnips" I mean 1. When we're they expecting them to have been dug at this time of year and 2. Who cares when they were dug?!! Tasty looking dinner though.

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

unnecessary descriptions like "spring dug parsnips" I mean 1. When we're they expecting them to have been dug at this time of year and 2. Who cares when they were dug?!!

Apparently, many folks care whether the parsnips were dug up before (and stored, as many are) or after a winter freeze (and thus may have more sugar). News to me, too (but then I live where the ground doesn't freeze much in winter).

Edited by SJMitch (log)