• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"The Art of the Confectioner: Sugarwork and Pastillage"

minas6907

I just got my copy in the mail today, and am thoroughly impressed with the book. Pastillage is much more interesting then I thought, and unlike the templates from The Art of the Chocolatier, I sort of feel like I can do something with the ones for sugar, I dont have that kind of patience to do anything with chocolate that isnt ediable.

The Chapters cover pastillage, sugar casting, pulling, blowing as well as 'new trends,' which is much more interesting then I thought it was going to be, this guy is creative. And not to mention, as in his chocolate book, there are beautiful full page pictures of his showpieces, absolutely stunning. Check it out in the book store to see his work, otherwise I'd say its work having if you do, or are interested in doing sugar work, the whole book dedicated to only that.

:-)

You'll have to post pix of your own work then! ;)

If its up to your dinner platings, you wont need to post pix of someone else's work.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Heres a few pics from the photographers website, its mostly pastillage, but its a good idea of whats contained in the book. He gets pretty crazy with his blown figures also, haha. I'll probably post some basic spherical shapes soon, and was suprised at how easy it looks to make a blown heart.

http://www.lucyschaeffer.com/index.php#mi=2&pt=1π=10000&s=0&p=22&a=0&at=0

• 2 months later...

I just recieved my copy of The Art of the Confectioner: Sugarwork and Pastillage. I went through the song and dance of 'No, i'll wait. Okay, let's get it". To "no, no. Not yet," To finally, "okay," on this book. I never take that much time deciding on a book. If I have a great feeling, then i'll get it like Martha Stewarts Pie book. There was an automatic, resounding 'I'm getting that book' when I first saw it and have not been dissapointed with the many recipes I have tried...

But for some reason, I am left with emptiness, even upon seeing this book with the gorgeous photo on the cover - which I want for my bedroom walls. I thought there would be big bold pics, both in the tutorial and end product stage, like in his Chocolates book (which I fall asleep with almost everynight- much to the chagrin of someone else). Why am I left with this feeling?

I just recieved my copy of The Art of the Confectioner: Sugarwork and Pastillage. I went through the song and dance of 'No, i'll wait. Okay, let's get it". To "no, no. Not yet," To finally, "okay," on this book. I never take that much time deciding on a book. If I have a great feeling, then i'll get it like Martha Stewarts Pie book. There was an automatic, resounding 'I'm getting that book' when I first saw it and have not been dissapointed with the many recipes I have tried...

But for some reason, I am left with emptiness, even upon seeing this book with the gorgeous photo on the cover - which I want for my bedroom walls. I thought there would be big bold pics, both in the tutorial and end product stage, like in his Chocolates book (which I fall asleep with almost everynight- much to the chagrin of someone else). Why am I left with this feeling?

I must recant just a little. There are beautiful bold pictures, but there are also pictures of white ontop of white which leaves a bad impression on me. They should have atleast used a color background for when the chef is molding a colorless piece. There should have been more color to this book. Note: if you want to mold hard candy, check out Peter Grewelings at home w/ the CIA chocolates and confections. Heck, buy it for the whole book. No dissapointment there. Chow!

I think I know what you mean Cat, the exitement for me wore off a bit, though it lasted for month or so. It is a beautiful book, and I do know what you mean with the white backdrops, but it was probably the best bet for them seeing as how he models a number of different pieces all with different colors, but even so, I still thought the pastillage pieces looked nice with the white on white, but overall it was probably best to use the same plain backround for every single piece.

The directions can sort of be difficult to follow also, but thats sort of what I would expect. Expect for pastillage, which is pretty much 'cut and dry,' the sugar work really is something a person has to get a feel for, so without having any formal training and being taught by someone else, the instructions in the book are pretty much as good as you can get.

I was also pleased to finally see a book that is recently published on sugar work, there are not too many of them. Of the ones I've searched for, they are pretty much all out of print, and if you want a copy, your going to shell out some serious cash for a new or used copy. I also have pastry books like "The Professional Pastry Chef" and "Professional Baking" which do cover pulled sugar, but it can only be said that they skim the surface compared Notters book. After spending so much time looking on youtube video of pulled, blown, and cast sugar, I was semi blown away when I saw some on the things Notter does in his sugar book, even how beautiful you can make a cast piece, or blow a transparent piece of sugar, his work truly is impressive.

Anyways, The book is aimed, obviously, at ones who would be competing in competitions, with a hefty part dedicated to the templates, but much of it can be done at home. If someone is doing this kind of work, they already know how to mold or pull hard candy. I could probably say that was a small disappointment for me, in Notters chocolate book, he has formulas for candy in addition to showpiece work, so I was sort of expecting the same on some level with the name Confectioner in the title, but nope, just showpieces :-). Thanks for your response Cat, for a while I thought I was the only person here that got exited about this book!