• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Herve This style chocolate mousse

KennethT

I made an Herve This style chocolate mousse last weekend - it is an emulsion of only coffee and chocolate - and it has been in my refrigerator all week. For how long will it still be safe to eat? Is there something in there that can go bad?

There are two different versions - the details of which are:

Mousse 1:

150g bittersweet chocolate

120g coffee

Mousse 2:

150g bittersweet chocolate

140g coffee

It certainly can go bad: once you've added that much water you've got a decent breeding ground for bacteria. Stored at refrigerator temps for a week I think it's probably fine, I'd think you can probably go 2-3 weeks based on the acidity and temperature, though I don't find that flavor-wise coffee products keep well for that long.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

That's what I was thinking - thanks for your confirmation, Chris. I didn't know that the flavor would change over time - I haven't tasted it since last week - curious to see what has happened...