• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cuts of beef: identifying, choosing, using

Kim Shook

That does make more sense. I forget where I heard about the supraspinatus, but I stand corrected. The comparative anatomy of those muscles is fairly different from our own, with the superficial and deep pectoral muscles being most similar to our own pectoralis major and minor. It would seem at first, in terms of function, to be analagous to iliacus muscle, which would be around the same place if you were to fold a cow in half. However, when you realize that the iliacus is the tenderloin, the arguement falls apart.

Other adductor muscles could possibly be candidates as well, such as the inside round. It seems like the biggest difference would be that they lack the awesome protective fat layer of the brisket.

• 4 months later...

I picked up this package of steaks today thinking that I could easily google "Chicago Steak" to learn what cut it really is and how best to cook it. Google failed me! Anyone?

Chicago Steak.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Looks like a flat iron or blade roast. Although in you photo it looks more like fat running through the center instead of a big tendon so not completely sure.

I believe it is fat and not tendon.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

if you look at a 7-bone roast or steak:

http://homecooking.about.com/od/beef/f/7boneroast.htm

you see several muscle groups from the shoulder. The 7 refers to that part of the scapula that well looks like a 7. that same primal chunk cut at a different spot on the scapula has a single bone in it as the 7 has 'run out'

It hard to find a good pic of the '7' but at that point you see the muscle on the extreme left slightly under the 7: thats that flat-iron, also called blade in USA. Note the tendon down its middle. Just above the 7 is another roundish piece: that's sometimes called a market steak.

If its really just fat between those two muscles you bought, it can't be the flat-iron. It also doesn't look like the market steak too much to me. Names vary so much region to region and butcher to butcher these days.

I used to see 7-blade all the time and always removed those two pieces and cooked them separately. After removing the tendon in the flat-iron, and using the market steak as is: both were very tender and had good beef flavor.

I have a good picture of the 7-blade and could scan it if you wish. Its from a very old but very informatie book: "Cutting up in the Kitchen"

http://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Kitchen-Butchers-Saving-Poultr/dp/B0013AZ010/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1333024404&sr=1-2

worth every penny at $$ 5 used.

also: http://www.txbeef.org/cooking_school/beef_chuck_7_bone_roast_and_steak

and

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://meat.tamu.edu/anatomy/images/7bone.jpeg&imgrefurl=http://meat.tamu.edu/anatomy/seven.html&h=385&w=513&sz=198&tbnid=wXJkEi-Nj9oENM:&tbnh=95&tbnw=126&prev=/search%3Fq%3D7-bone%2Bsteak%26tbm%3Disch%26tbo%3Du&zoom=1&q=7-bone+steak&docid=NbAwJ5oG9cVrVM&sa=X&ei=y1d0T93VHMar0AHVg-SBAw&ved=0CIYBEPUBMAk&dur=1572

2 is the flat-iron or blade

3 is the market steak but not very large in this cut.

maybe yours is a slice of 4 and 5?

Edited by rotuts (log)

7-Blade is great-- But if..and I love dissecting !!

If you can get the long Bone( scapula ) in your chuck cut, this will actually put it nearer to the rib primal. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the divergence.

BTW...I cant get bone-in chuck..that much anymore.

Paul

Its good to have Morels

If you can get the long Bone( scapula ) in your chuck cut, this will actually put it nearer to the rib primal. :rolleyes:

Paul

Paul, look for a large 7 bone cut labeled as chuck pot roast. I'm not sure where you're from, but down here in Florida Publix markets carry some nice bone in chuck roasts.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Thank you all for your input. Given that there seems to be a fair bit of disagreement I finally did what I should have done yesterday - call the store and ask them! DUH. It is a blade steak. DAMN - looked a lot like a chuck eye to me but blade is good too. Now I know that low and slow is the best route to go. Will turn it into a stew or a curry in the next couple of days. Again, thanks everyone.

My 2004 eG Blog

Blade is actually great as a steak and the whole blade primal, minus the connective seam is sold as flat iron steak. I can't tell from the pic how thick the steaks are but you should consider cutting out the seam and using them as kebabs or stir fry rather than braise them.

PS: I am a guy.

better yet, if the 'price point' appeals to you

get some more cut thicker: 1/2 " lets say.

cut out the middle.

"season" for a fast steak.

then cook 'fast'

turn over and finish in the oven until 'rare-ish'

delishious.

better yet, if the 'price point' appeals to you

get some more cut thicker: 1/2 " lets say.

cut out the middle.

"season" for a fast steak.

then cook 'fast'

turn over and finish in the oven until 'rare-ish'

delishious.

This is a measured 1 1/4 thick so no worries there. Nevertheless I will be treating this lot as "blade". Perhaps next time I will be willing to experiment further. Thank you for the suggestion.

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't really mean to beat this to death,

but I've have had issues with what I can get here as 'chuck' some SV'eds very well, some becomes 'mealy'

in the 7-bone days i could understand the muscle groups and go from there.

now ... ??

Ill ask one last experiment:

before you cook the two pieces of meat: 'poke' each muscle with a finger. are they different?

Im guessing the top part that's a little paler will be tougher to the touch than the lower deeper colored piece.

each will taste good. but that sort of info is all we can get these days.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Paul

If you have a decent Mexican market go to the butcher and ask for Diezmillo para Azar

If it helps Anna, last I heard, the blade roast was Jacques Pepin's favorite cut for pot roast.

Yup! And these two made awesome Beef Rendang a la Molly Stevens. My adult kids will be talking about it forever.

My 2004 eG Blog

Kudos!

but ... might you give a few more details on what you made?

I'm very interested in how """Chuck""" or what ever one might have 'in the shoulder area' serves on the plate.

Edited by rotuts (log)