• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"exotic" liquor

guajolote

Thanks for participating in this Q&A.

A friend of mine from Peru introduced me to Pisco Sours a couple of years ago and I love them. Do you have any tips for making a Pisco Sour? Are there any other drinks from other countries that you find especially enjoyable?

Hi Quajolote,

Here is my recipe for the Pisco Sour:

PISCO SOUR

Pisco is a very unusual tasting grape brandy made from the Muscat grape in Peru and Chile. The Pisco sour is the leading cocktail in both countries and like the bloody Mary in this country everyone thinks their recipe is the best, including me…

1 ½ oz. Pisco

¾ oz. Fresh Lemon

1 oz. Simple Syrup

Several drops of Angostura Bitters

One Small Egg White

Shake all ingredients very hard with ice to completely emulsify the egg white and strain into a London dock (port ) glass. Garnish with several drops of Angostura Bitters on top of the foam.

I know there are many very good brands of Pisco in Peru and Chile, I found one from Chile called Aba that I particularly like.

I make several versions of the Caipirinha as well with cachaca from Brazil, here are a couple fun recipes:

CAIPIRINHA

2 oz. Cachaça

¾ oz. Brown Sugar Syrup or tsp. of Brown Sugar

½ Lime quartered.

Place lime quarters in the bottom of mixing glass, add the syrup and muddle extracting the juice and the oil in the skin from the lime quarters. Chill a rocks glass with cracked ice. Add Cachaça to the mixture in the mixing glass and dump the ice into the mixing glass and shake well. Pour the entire contents of the mixing glass back into the chilled rocks glass and serve.

CAIPIROSCA

A vodka version of the Brazilian Classic Caipirinha

2 oz. Vodka

Half a Lime quartered.

Place lime quarters in the bottom of mixing glass, add the syrup and muddle extracting the juice and the oil in the skin from the lime quarters. Fill a rock glass 3/4 full of cracked ice and pour it over to the mixing glass along with the vodka. Shake well and pour entire contents back into the rocks glass and serve.

CAIPIRUVA or CAIPIRINHA DE UVA

2 oz. Cachaça

½ Lime quartered.

4 Seedless Green Grapes

Place lime quarters and grapes in the bottom of a mixing glass, add the syrup and muddle extracting the juice and the oil in the skin from the lime quarters. Chill a rock glass with cracked ice. Add Cachaça to the mixture in the mixing glass and dump the ice into the mixing glass and shake well. Pour the entire contents of the mixing glass back into the chilled rocks glass and serve.

Note: During cherry season use pitted cherries instead of grapes for a dramatic and good tasting take-off on the Caipirinha.

CAIPIRISSIMA

A Caipirinha made with regular rum.

CAIPIRINHA, CHERRY

2 oz. Cachaça

½ Lime quartered.

4 Pitted sour or sweet cherries

Place lime quarters and cherries in the bottom of a mixing glass, add the syrup and muddle extracting the juice and the oil in the skin from the lime quarters. Chill a rock glass with cracked ice. Add Cachaça to the mixture in the mixing glass and dump the ice into the mixing glass and shake well. Pour the entire contents of the mixing glass back into the chilled rocks glass and serve.

Dale