• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Updating bread machine technique and recipes

rotuts

I have a plain-vanilla bread machine on the way from Amazon. I'm unable to bake free-form or in pans in the oven at the moment. I’ve done both successfully in the past.

I had a bread machine a long time ago after seeing Julia Child demo them with Jane Brody on her PBS series 'Baking with Julia.' I enjoyed using them for some time, then was able to move on to oven baking both in loaf pans and free form sourdough.

Im interested in making just toast and sandwich bread at the moment. I’ve studied

the older threads and have gotten some great tips, including the one from andiesenji about removing the blade prior to the last rise and bake. Brilliant! I wish that had occurred to me years ago.

Im hoping to use the machine by weighing the ingredients as is the current practice by 'seasoned' bakers.

I hope to find recipes that measure 'by weight.' My library has a large number of bread machine books, but these come from the era before most bakers at home had decent digital scales.

I did find this ref:

http://www.erikthered.com/flwm.html

This may be all I need.

Does anyone have worthwhile ‘tips?‘ Any further references to more current web sites that measure by weight? Has anyone successfully retarded dough in the refrigerator and then used the machine another day for baking?

Ive gotten my yeast from King Arthur, and will use their flour available at Trader Joe’s.

Eventually, I may be able to use the machine for the mixing and then bake in the oven.

Thank you

this may not be what you want as it doesn't give recipes by weight, but The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook By Beth Hensberger is a no-fail recipe book--must have 300 recipes--I bake from it at least once a week and have never been disappointed.

She also covers fascinating topics, like using the yeast on the skins of grapes to make bread!

I do weigh when cooking quite often, and precision in the bread machine is important--I find that if I measure scant cups of flour--never quite filling the cup measure, that it works well for almost any bread recipe.

have fun--you don't need a fancy machine--I get mine from thrift shops--like the Breadman machines the best, though.

Thank you, kind Rotuts for reposting that brilliant tip from Andie. Never thought of it. Wonderful.

I have a newer bread machine now...got it second hand for $5 in Moab, UT, king of the second hand stores...and have not learned all the tweaky bits yet.

And thanks for that conversion chart. I'll print it out and use it.

I have my own bread recipe from bread days about 15 years ago. I must find it again. It used Maple Leaf whole wheat flour and apple juice concentrate and I can't remember what all else. I'd make up 12 cannisters of the dry ingredients at once and then just dump them into the old machine and add the wet (I think... :unsure: ) Lord, I am getting on in years.

We don't eat much bread, but I do make Challah fairly often using David Goldfarb's machine Challah posted recipe (OK, I can't go on. I can't find it no matter what words I post in search.) but if anyone wants the recipe I'm sure David would tell you where to get it.) It's useful for so many dishes.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ill go to King Arthur's site and look them over. Their store is a marvel if you ever get up there. I used to go regularly when I kenneled my Labrador(s) up there.

It's a shame of sorts they have not expanded their stores ( to one near me!)

:sad:

Edited by rotuts (log)

the bread machine has a fixed volume, rise time and baking temperature.

Its as if there were a (partial) differential equation that said:

(Four + water + salt + yeast) * (baking temp - time) = Fixed Volume

In a loaf pan, the risen volume may change somewhat as the bake time in a manual oven.

you can jazz the above up as dF/dV etc

Edited by rotuts (log)

I've never successfully made bread-machine bread without it tasting like... bread-machine bread. Don't know why.

Someone gave me the "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day" book and I was shocked how great and easy it was to make excellent (IMO) bread in the oven.

But if you don't have oven access, I don't see any other way than the machine. good luck.

I'm hoping to be able to eventually use the machine after retarding the bread dough in the refrigerator.

Bread machine bread for toast and sandwiches with the good ingredients is much better than what you can generally buy in an ordinary supermarket.

Edited by rotuts (log)

I got my machine (Sunbeam, plain vanilla 2 lb) and used the K.A. 100% white whole wheat.

not too bad for a first attempt. A little wet was the dough.

no picture! :raz:

did email K.A. and they replied almost immediately as I asked for the weight of their W.W.W four. they referenced this:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipe/master-weight-chart.html

mighty handy!

even though its not 'artisan' it still smells swell!

and indeed taking out the blade is day for night.

Edited by rotuts (log)

after removing the bread (very easy, no blade!) and letting the pan cool the rotor stump if you will was coated with baked bread. No bid deal, easy to clean off with one of those no scratch scrubbies.

next time Ill add a drop of grape-seed oil to that shaft and see.

Happy Baking!

I make all of my own bread and now that I'm widowed find that making one loaf at a time is more than adequate for my needs. I use the newer Zo bread machine (two paddle) for kneading and then remove the dough and bake in my oven...I've never liked the way these machines bake; It doesn't make sense to me the one-temperature, one-length-of-time fits all kinds of loaves. The bread machine makes such easy work of the kneading and the clean-up is nothing.

Currently I make a whole wheat loaf that I've tweaked over time so that it is just perfect (it makes a 10" loaf). And, for toasting, I make a recipe from KAF that is their Oatmeal Toasting and Sandwich Bread (with raisins); arguably the best toast ever! This recipe is not to be confused with their "Oatmeal Toasting Bread" which is a different recipe altogether.

thanks for the recipe tips: Ill look up the Oatmeal Toasting and Sandwich Bread at KAF.

I used to bake bread from the older machine in the oven many times and indeed its much more flexible that way. For now Ill stick with the machine, as its much more flexible than the older ones.

Eventually I hope to get back to the oven.

the 100% white whole wheat was a little harsh for sandwiches but the crumb was very good for toast!

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Rotus,

If you'd care to PM me I'd be happy to forward my honey whole wheat bread recipe to you.

I tried to send it to you but your email is marked private.

Linda