• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking with "Thai Food" by David Thompson

Pork and green peppercorn curry - page 454. I gave this a try a few weeks ago and it was good. It is quite strange in so much as you use no garlic, red shallots or shrimp paste. Not too difficult to do and it was really good.

One of my favorite recipes and a surefire hit with guests.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, really want to keep this thread going!

I'm trying to perfect the Pad Prik King style dry red curry after trying it at Spice Siam in Sydney.

I'm adjusting the glangal levels and dry prawns in my paste tonight after a reasonable but not stellar result last time.

Jump on board and share your attempts....

My initial flavor test was the classic, bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. Homemade bread, homemade mayonnaise, homegrown tomato (from a neighbor), homemade bacon. The only thing that wasn't locally grown was the lettuce. It was the best sandwich I've ever had!

Naturally, my expectations were high so I had a bottle of wine to meet that expectation: 1976 Lafitte Rothschild. Mmmmmmm.....

Really Nice Aug 10 2003, 11:22 PM

• 2 months later...

Beef massaman. Simple recipe. Fairly quick, too, if you use a pressure cooker rather than a long simmer. I used short ribs instead of the recommended flank steak.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Had the Cucumber and prawn salad on page 350 the other night. Very quick to make and excellent flavours especially with the addition of the dried prawns shavings at the end. Along with that we had rice and the stir-fried beef with chillies and holy basil on page 507 seeing my grocery had some nice fresh Thai basil leaves (very rare around these parts). It was quite a strong flavoured dish as he says in the introduction..serve with plenty of rice. The basil leaves are a must here. I made too much of it and it got over powering towards the end of the meal but as a side dish it would be great. It was also quick and easy to make. Good for a meal with lots of different dishes because you can make it first and keep it warm in the oven while preparing other dishes.

Beef massaman. Simple recipe. Fairly quick, too, if you use a pressure cooker rather than a long simmer. I used short ribs instead of the recommended flank steak.

Chris - Huge thanks for recommending this recipe. We made it with beef chuck and eggplant, and it was absolutely fantastic.

• 3 years later...

I know this is very late, but I have found out what bai thawn laang (mentioned on the previous page re. the Miang of Pomelo) are - they are not Betel leaves, but leaves from the "Tiger's Claw" or "Indian Coral" tree. Bai means "leaf", thawn means "gold(en)", and laang means "omen" - that in itself didn't help, but when I searched on the Thai Royal Botanical Society website with the name written in Thai, I found it pretty easily... A quick trip to Wikipedia with the Latin name gave me this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrina_variegata

"In Vietnam, the leaves are used to wrap fermented meat (Vietnamese: nem)." I guess if they're used in Vietnam it'd make sense for them to be found in Thailand too... Hope that's useful, or least interesting!

EDIT: Here's the whole genus page - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythrina#Use_by_humans

Edited by wozard (log)
  • Like 1