• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

seabream

Cooking with "Thai Food" by David Thompson

55 posts in this topic

Pork and green peppercorn curry - page 454. I gave this a try a few weeks ago and it was good. It is quite strange in so much as you use no garlic, red shallots or shrimp paste. Not too difficult to do and it was really good.

One of my favorite recipes and a surefire hit with guests.

Hi all, really want to keep this thread going!

I'm trying to perfect the Pad Prik King style dry red curry after trying it at Spice Siam in Sydney.

I'm adjusting the glangal levels and dry prawns in my paste tonight after a reasonable but not stellar result last time.

Jump on board and share your attempts....

My initial flavor test was the classic, bacon-lettuce-and-tomato sandwich. Homemade bread, homemade mayonnaise, homegrown tomato (from a neighbor), homemade bacon. The only thing that wasn't locally grown was the lettuce. It was the best sandwich I've ever had!

Naturally, my expectations were high so I had a bottle of wine to meet that expectation: 1976 Lafitte Rothschild. Mmmmmmm.....

Really Nice Aug 10 2003, 11:22 PM

Had the Cucumber and prawn salad on page 350 the other night. Very quick to make and excellent flavours especially with the addition of the dried prawns shavings at the end. Along with that we had rice and the stir-fried beef with chillies and holy basil on page 507 seeing my grocery had some nice fresh Thai basil leaves (very rare around these parts). It was quite a strong flavoured dish as he says in the introduction..serve with plenty of rice. The basil leaves are a must here. I made too much of it and it got over powering towards the end of the meal but as a side dish it would be great. It was also quick and easy to make. Good for a meal with lots of different dishes because you can make it first and keep it warm in the oven while preparing other dishes.

Beef massaman. Simple recipe. Fairly quick, too, if you use a pressure cooker rather than a long simmer. I used short ribs instead of the recommended flank steak.

Chris - Huge thanks for recommending this recipe. We made it with beef chuck and eggplant, and it was absolutely fantastic.

• Similar Content

• By Lisa Shock
      The team over at Modernist Cuisine announced today that their next project will be an in-depth exploration of bread. I personally am very excited about this, I had been hoping their next project would be in the baking and pastry realm. Additionally, Francisco Migoya will be head chef and Peter Reinhart will assignments editor for this project which is expected to be a multi-volume affair.
    • By Chris Hennes
      While not a new cookbook by any means, I haven't really had time to dig into this one until now. We've previously discussed the recipes in Jerusalem: A Cookbook, but not much has been said about Plenty. So, here goes...

Chickpea saute with Greek yogurt (p. 211)

This was a great way to kick off my time with this book. The flavors were outstanding, particularly the use of the caraway seeds and lemon juice. I used freshly-cooked Rancho Gordo chickpeas, which of course helps! The recipe was not totally trivial, but considering the flavors developed, if you don't count the time to cook the chickpeas it came together very quickly. I highly recommend this dish.
    • By Bickery
      Hey Everyone! I'm kinda new to all this, so excuse any violation of mores.
      Searching google for anything on Mr. Steingarten on the web led me to
      this forum. It appears te me that most of you are food professionals or
      nearly that, while i'm just a 21-yr old student who likes to cook.

I own both Jeffries books, and i've started putting together a list of
      all the books he sort of recommends in his writing. Thus came an idea
      for this forum, wouldn't it be fun to concoct a list of say 50
      cookbooks from the world over? I everybody, and hopefully mr
      Steingarten along with them, would contribute his or hers favourote
      books, this could be very interesting.

Due to my limited library on the subject (most cookbooks i've read are
      mom's) i shall begin by contributing my current favourite.

I shall put it in last place, because i'm sure a lot of you will have
      thing to say on the subject.

so:

50. La cucina essentiale - Stefano Cavallini

I hope a lot of suggestions will follow!

Yours Truly,

Rik

(Host's Note: Thanks to eG member marmish, who has compiled a list of everything mentioned as of the end of July 2009: it can be found here. -CH)
    • By liuzhou
      I'm hearing rumours of a new book from Fuchsia Dunlop, this time on Zhejiang cuisine from the east of China around Hangzhou and Ningbo, south of Shanghai. No date or title - or confirmation yet.
    • By Droo
      I'm making the citron cream recipe in Migoya's Elements of Desserts (p318/9?).
      It says to cook the anglaise to 85 degrees, place on an ice bath then whip the anglaise. I've done that but it doesn't seem to whip (let alone to a medium peak).

This is a new technique I've not tried before so I'm at a loss. Anyone have any ideas?