• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

AAA v. Michelin

Andrew

Not sure this is the correct topic but here goes. What is the difference between AAA diamonds and Michelin stars. As a European I understand (as much as anyone can understand) the star system but having recently returned from the States where I ate at a 4 diamond restaurant which had an amazing view, formal service, high prices but very average food I wondered what the criteria was. It would not have got 1 Star so I wondered how it merited 4 diamonds.

Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately most of the discussion is around Michelin what I'm really interested in is how the AAA diamond system works and whether you can compare a AAA 4 diamond with a 2 Star.

Any views out there?

Andrew

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

In US there are about 40 5 diamond restaurants and about 12 Three Star Michelin Places. There is some overlap. The tire company seems to only look in a few big US cities, whereas AAA seems to consider the whole country's restaurants.

My own experience at 5 diamond places is varied. Some are top notch... some are a mystery hoe they got the top rating.

• Like 1

I hate the AAA ratings. Even granting the inherently subjective nature of rating restaurants, the AAA diamond ratings seem almost completely random to me. I've given up trying to correlate between AAA and Michelin. Even though Michelin ratings are themselves fairly subjective, you can usually count on any Michelin rated restuarant to meet certain standards.

For most US destinations you will generally find better dining recommendations from eGullet forums than the AAA ratings.

I pay absolutely no attention to AAA ratings for restaurants. So far as I can tell, they are meaningless, and given by people whose food tastes veer toward ice sculptures and large platters of defrosted shrimp. Perhaps there are some exceptions. I haven't found any.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

AAA raitings are worthless.

You've got better odds checking a resturant out on yelp or trip advisor and looking through the reviews to get a general feel for the place (weed out the people that will whine or praise anything.)

• 4 weeks later...

AAA raitings are worthless.

You've got better odds checking a resturant out on yelp or trip advisor and looking through the reviews to get a general feel for the place (weed out the people that will whine or praise anything.)

Personally I also tend to ignore the Michelin accredations as well. I prefer to go for value for money and use Trip Advisor or recommendations from friends when I am eating out in unfamilar areas.

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker