• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pumpkin oatmeal cake

sabg

i am making an oatmeal pumpkin bundt...i had latkes over the holidays and the cook subbed applesauce for the egg and it was totally delish...the recipe i have calls for 1 cup of butter and 4 eggs...how much subbing do you think i could get away with ?? i would first like to get rid of the butter...maybe half applesauce then half oil ? i am not a baker but trying

I've made bundt cakes that called for 1 cup of oil, and replacing half of that with applesauce worked really well. Note that if your applesauce isn't thick, I would drain it in a strainer or on papertowels...

You can cut oil by up to half using applesauce, but I wouldn't mess too much with the egg proportion - in bundts it's not only there to hold the dough together, it also helps to leaven the dough.

Is there any other type of liquid in the dough - ie milk? You can replace 100% of that with applesauce, particularly if you've got a thinner style sauce, but if you do this you need to keep the fat and egg proportions steady (and as a sidenote if you're replacing 1 C of butter with oil, use 3/4 C of oil so that the final product keeps a good crumb - the full cup will make it almost too oily/crumbly in my experience).

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)