• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pipeable marshmallow cream recipe

patti_h

Is anyone willing to share a recipe for a pipe-able marshmallow cream? I have made three attempts with two different recipes (Greweling, removing the gelatin per chocoera) and the marshmallow recipe in Craft of Baking (also removing the gelatin). They have all resulted in syrupy goo and not marshmallow goo. What gives?

I have some hot chocolate bonbons just waiting on their marshmallow, and I am about ready to give up and buy some fluff, but I thought someome here might have a suggestion. Thanks in advance!!!

I assume you are looking for marshmallow fluff?

Marshmallow Fluff

50 grams egg white

100 grams sugar

200 grams glucose

65 grams water

1 tsp vanilla

Sugar, glucose and water in small pan. Egg whites with whisk in Kitchen aid. When syrup reaches about 90C, start egg whites whipping. When egg whites are whipped and syrup reaches 120º C - pour syrup down side of bowl. Beat for a couple of minutes more. Add vanilla.

There is also a recipe for pipeable meringue on the Martha Stewart website that was used for her chrysanthemum cake. I have used it as a chocolate candy filling, and found it stays soft but not slimy.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/223948/italian-meringue

Theresa

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

• 2 years later...

I would like to fill some chocolate shells with marshmallow. Anyone have a good recipe? Can I use Greweling's recipe? Any changes necessary to convert a slab marshmallow recipe into a pipeable marshmallow recipe?

Oh and Swedish mums mums, skumbollar,gräddbullar  has pipeable  marshmallow. 

450 ml caster sugar
75 ml icing sugar
1 eggwhite
150 ml cold water
1½ tablespoon gelatine powder
150 ml  boilinghot water.

In a bowl add  both type sugar, cold water, eggwhite .
Desolve the gelatine in hot water and add to the egg mixture.  

Now beat until white and fluffy, this can take 30 min.  Pipe out on to digestive biscuits or wafer rounds.   Freeze for 1 hour and then dipp into chocolate.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

From my limited knowledge of working with marshmallows, I would think if you just do them a little less so they stayed a little more fluid, and then let them set overnight before backing them.  I would be interested to know if you are able to do this and how you did it. 

Donna, I think probably keeping the consistency fluid enough would be the main issue. Remember JMA reheated in microwave.

Ruth, I had forgotten that JMA did marshmallows... I'll review my notes and use the microwave for reheats. Was the marshmallow the layer on top of the gummies?
  • Like 1

From my limited knowledge of working with marshmallows, I would think if you just do them a little less so they stayed a little more fluid, and then let them set overnight before backing them.  I would be interested to know if you are able to do this and how you did it.

Quesmoy, good ideas. I was thinking of whipping the mixture less or not heating the sugar mixture to as high a temp. Definitely planning to let the tops skin over before capping / backing them.

• Like 1

Quesmoy, good ideas. I was thinking of whipping the mixture less or not heating the sugar mixture to as high a temp. Definitely planning to let the tops skin over before capping / backing them.

I'd be very interested to hear how this turns out for you. I've been wanting to do piped marshmallows for awhile, inspired by this – http://www.chefeddy.com/2010/04/lime-marshmallows/. Unfortunately they don't give any detailed instructions for piping vs slab. I was planning to try whipping slightly less and working reeeeally reeeeally quickly with my piping. 

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

I would like to fill some chocolate shells with marshmallow. Anyone have a good recipe? Can I use Greweling's recipe? Any changes necessary to convert a slab marshmallow recipe into a pipeable marshmallow recipe?

What Quesmoy said. I'm fairly certain that using whatever marshmallow recipe you usually use (I love David Lebovitz's recipe), and reducing the length of the final beating/mixing (i.e. when all the components have been combined) would do the trick. I'm basing this on the fact that the first time I made marshmallow, I underbeat, and it never really set up firmly, and whenever I overbeat, the marshmallow sets up much more quickly.

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

What Quesmoy said. I'm fairly certain that using whatever marshmallow recipe you usually use (I love David Lebovitz's recipe), and reducing the length of the final beating/mixing (i.e. when all the components have been combined) would do the trick. I'm basing this on the fact the first time I made marshmallow, I underbeat, and it never really set up firmly, and whenever I overbeat, the marshmallow sets up much more quickly.

I've never made marshmallows with egg whites (at least not yet – it's on my list). My vote for favourite recipe goes to Peter Greweling's from Candies and Confections.

I've never had a problem with them not setting up (except for one time when I accidentally undercooked the syrup because I misread the temperature), but I have noticed that if I beat them too long, they're already starting to set up in the bowl and it's a struggle to get into the pan. If I beat for less time they're much more pourable (but they still set up fine). 

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

If Im not using the sugar/cornstarch then I spray pretty much anything that contacts the marshmallow.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 1 month later...

I just did this yesterday. I do an egg white-free marshmallow and I mixed it for 5 minutes at speed 8 on my Kitchen Aid and then 3 minutes on speed 10. I filled 2 disposable piping bags with the marshmallow and had a third, empty, "master bag" fitted with a french tip. I cut off the bottom of one filled bags and put it into the "master". When I finished with that bag, I took the whole thing out and replaced it in the "master" with the second filled bag. It cut down on the time (you have to work quickly with this stuff) as well as the mess. Hope I explained this well enough.

• Like 2