• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TDG: Harry & David v. Fairway

Fat Guy

Oooops. My computer skills are a little rusty after all that time locked up. Fresh fruit was one of my friend Sam's big fantasies. We didn't get any in CCA?CADC. Someone sended him a box of peaches from one of those Fruit of the Month clubs, but it got returned 'cuz it was "contraband." He tried to give it to the Unit and Case managers but they were all concerned that it might have narcotics or methamphetamine in it. Sam kept saying that he'd pay $5 bucks for an apple or a banana. We don't have Fairway out here in Arizona, but Sam always said we'd missed something great with those peaches. He thought Tony's wife Nancy might of sended them from New York City. If you wondered why we don't get fruit, its 'cause all the Paysanes would makee jail hooch out of it. We did get a tiny little slice of Watermelon on the 4 of July, but the CO's watched us eat it and then counted up the skins. It wasn't even cold. When Sam gets back into gen pop he'll probably want to tell you about it. if anyone want to write to him i'm sure he'd apreciate it. I'm afraid he might be in "seg" since he hasn't called me yet or had anymore stuff put up here. Hey Sam, stay strong bro', Cindi's waiting for you.

• 2 months later...

Best "corporate gifts" I've received would hafta be Fat Witch Brownies (Chelsea Market) They're pricey, but wonderful brownies in a world of overly cakey/cloyingly sweet, these are rich and bittersweet, just perfect.

(one downside, they don't keep for more than a couple of weeks.)

Fat Witch Bakery Web site

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

"Don't look a gift horse in the mouth"

Or a PearBear for that matter.

While it's certainly appropriate to compare the quality of Harry & Davids pears, and other products, against commonly available supermarket items, comparing their monetary value is not, especially if you are the recipient.

Harry & Davids' products are usually given as gifts. I don't know about anyone else, but my parents taught me that it was rude to subject gifts to an monetary appraisal?

My family has done business with Harry & Davids for nearly fifty years. Their Gift Baskets are part of my earliest Christmas memories. No other fruit, of however much more spectacular quality or value, would be the same.

SB (happy to know there is something called "a pear advocacy group")

Here in Canada, I can't hardly think of any prominent national mail-order sources, that specializes in food gift baskets, along the lines of Harry & David. Maybe this gift basket thing, is more of a US thing. Even Canadian food mail order sources are fairly hard-to-find(not even talking about, if any of them are any good). Food gift baskets are available across Canada, but mostly done by local merchants, for their specific area.

----------------

Steve

Because stuff would freeze during shipping?

SB (has had that problem here in Northern MN)

Egulleters, this brings up another possible thread. If you all had your druthers what food or wine related item would you like to have in your Christmas stocking? I know we would all like that Petrus '61, the Screaming Eagle '94 or the Lobel's ultimate steak pack. Please try to be as practical as possible.

Please mention brands.

A case of Boyajian oils, with a tin of their caviar thrown in. :rolleyes: