• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

Ah, I'll have to remember that. I'll be up there right at the beginning of allergy season, good time to stock up. It's over the counter?

OTC 5 and 10mg - I think the 20 mg is still script only - though by now that might not be the case.

Reactine=Zyrtec= cetirizine

Ha, I could have used that in Charleston last week! EVERYthing was in bloom. A feast for the eyes, but not for my respiratory system.

• 6 months later...

Slight glitch - the residences will not be available until after May 1. I have made arrangements with the Hilton instead.

One king bed will be $109. $113, $139 for the Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Two Queen beds will be $99, $109, $129

Number for the Hilton is 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, L0S 1J0, Canada

TEL: 1-905-984-4200

The code to book is EGW11.

I booked 20 rooms in total assuming that some would share, and some would probably look for other accommodation.

If you need time on either side - the Hilton folks said they would be available at a better price than the standard rate if you book them at the same time.

Can a get a show of hands from those who think they will be coming so I can add some extra rooms if needs be.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

I'm definitely planning on being there. Do you have any idea how early will things get going on Friday? Will I have time to drive in that morning and not miss anything, or do I need to book a room for Thursday night as well? (I could be persuaded to share a room, if someone's interested.)

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Count me IN - see you in 2013!!!

Reservation made. If you call, please be patient with them, the poor gal who answered my call was harried...but it all worked out ....

Edited by RobertM (log)

Melissa- typically Friday is a bonding day. We usually do things like touring a confectionery company, an artisanal confectioner, Tomric has hosted us and did a demo with Brian and last time, we went to lunch for some amazing wings....

Melissa- typically Friday is a bonding day. We usually do things like touring a confectionery company, an artisanal confectioner, Tomric has hosted us and did a demo with Brian and last time, we went to lunch for some amazing wings....

RobertM, I remember that from the very first workshop. I ask because I'm about a three-hour drive away, and wondered whether I'd be able to sleep in my own bed Thursday night.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I'm definitely planning on being there. Do you have any idea how early will things get going on Friday? Will I have time to drive in that morning and not miss anything, or do I need to book a room for Thursday night as well? (I could be persuaded to share a room, if someone's interested.)

MelissaH

Not definitely confirmed - but I think that Friday we might tour the panning operation - not sure how early we'll get started. I'd probably come Thursday night if you can.

DianeM

YetiChocolates

AnythingButPlainChocolate

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH

sarahdwyer

lebowitz +1 - I'll have the reactine waiting!

curls

Perhaps I should see if they could hold a couple more rooms just to be on the safe side.

I'm still a "maybe". I'm kinda waiting to see what's going on with the possible Winnipeg version of the Heartland Gathering. I won't be able to do both and, as fascinated and impressed (and frequently jealous :biggrin: ) as I am with the work eGullet members do, I just don't do much candy and confectionary myself. Although seeing it being done firsthand might be a nice kick in the butt to get me going on it and meeting the people behind the names would be fun.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I'm still a "maybe". I'm kinda waiting to see what's going on with the possible Winnipeg version of the Heartland Gathering. I won't be able to do both and, as fascinated and impressed (and frequently jealous :biggrin: ) as I am with the work eGullet members do, I just don't do much candy and confectionary myself. Although seeing it being done firsthand might be a nice kick in the butt to get me going on it and meeting the people behind the names would be fun.

I suspect the Winnipeg version of the Heartland Gathering is likely a pipe dream (unless you want to organize it)! If you come for the workshop we can probably make sure you get lots of nice food and wine.

I suspect the Winnipeg version of the Heartland Gathering is likely a pipe dream (unless you want to organize it)! If you come for the workshop we can probably make sure you get lots of nice food and wine.

The idea it may happen is more along the lines of a delusion than a pipe dream, methinks, unless an eG staffer wants to organize it. But, Tri2Cook, I'd be happy to plan a weekend of eating with you if you find your way here. (Plymouth gin is still $26 here.)

Moving this over from the report thread on the 2012 conference - noticed I've changed the name to Workshop from Conference as it seems more appropriate to what we get up to. Conference sounds so dry!

Anyway I've already booked the dates with Niagara College - April 27 and 28, 2013. I'm working on a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - rates will likely be between $109 and $119/night depending on two queen beds vs 1 king. The rates are lower than that for the Wed, Thursday and the Monday after. I won't have definite amounts until the beginning of May.

There is certainly other accommodation available - but I won't be able to do block for that.

I think we can safely say that one of the Friday activities will be a tour of Art and Wilma's new panning facility - they've moved from their very small quarters in to a huge new building and it is a treat to see. I think we'll skip Tomric this time around - but I'm sure people may want to hit there if they are flying into Buffalo.

Are these dates still correct?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

The timing is really perfect for me, I have to talk to DH and see if he can swing a "work trip" out east and I might actually be able to make this. Hooray!

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Moving this over from the report thread on the 2012 conference - noticed I've changed the name to Workshop from Conference as it seems more appropriate to what we get up to. Conference sounds so dry!

Anyway I've already booked the dates with Niagara College - April 27 and 28, 2013. I'm working on a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - rates will likely be between $109 and $119/night depending on two queen beds vs 1 king. The rates are lower than that for the Wed, Thursday and the Monday after. I won't have definite amounts until the beginning of May.

There is certainly other accommodation available - but I won't be able to do block for that.

I think we can safely say that one of the Friday activities will be a tour of Art and Wilma's new panning facility - they've moved from their very small quarters in to a huge new building and it is a treat to see. I think we'll skip Tomric this time around - but I'm sure people may want to hit there if they are flying into Buffalo.

Are these dates still correct?

I would swear I answered this already - apparently I didn't - yup dates still correct.