• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

DianeM

YetiChocolates

AnythingButPlainChocolate

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH

If I make it, I'm fine with the residence. Hotel's fine too, so whatever the group decides...

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I had the best time this year, so please count me in for the next one. I am happy to stay in the residence. I keep meaning to send a thank you post on the 2012 Report thread, but Easter is making me crazy! Anyone lurking in the shadows (like I was), please come out and join this amazingly generous and talented group. No matter where you are in the chocolate learning process, you will increase your knowledge and even better, find some new "chocolate nerds" to hang out with in real life! I am not exaggerating when I say, I learned more in those two days than I learned in months in pastry school.

I would love a show of how everyone else 'bottoms' their chocolates. I use a fairly soft caramel, which creates some oozing chocolates, which my family/friends appreciate greatly and they gobble those chocolates very happily. But I want perfection, and I know someone in this group will have the answer. Thanks to Bob's suggestion, when I think it is going to get ugly, I do a quick double coating, and it has helped.

Here are my Spring Chocolates (Vanilla Fleur de Sel Caramel in 72% chocolate with Tulips) for your viewing pleasure. Not sure if this will work, it is my first photo post.

TulipStyle2.jpg

--Sarah

(Chouquette)

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH

sarahdwyer

I would be interested in the residence accommodation as well. Since I'll be flying in I won't be able to bring many supplies, but will bring what I can. As for things I would be interested in learning would be nougats, and though I know this was shown in the 2012 conference, maybe some more airbrushing or cocoa butter decorating techniques in molds as well. Can't wait!

OOh, and I don't know if this would be possible Kerry, but if you could show us the screen printing technique for making transfer sheets, that would be awesome! I would love to see how that's done in person! Though if that would be too difficult, I completely understand :wub:

That should be possible.

I am not sure if anyone else would be interested, but I think a "roundtable discussion" pertaining to the business aspects would be really helpful. I tried to learn what I could from these amazingly talented (and business oriented) people during lunch and dinner, but I think a group-wide discussion would be amazing.

Put me in as tentative +1 depending upon dates and production needs. Looking forward to another visit!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

Kerry,

Might it be possible for you to request the room that we had back in 2009, which I think was the pastry room, if memory serves? As much fun as it is to do chocolate work while wearing a parka under my apron... :biggrin:

I'd also strongly recommend that people who are able to bring along some basic utensils - spoons, spatulas, knives, etc. The Niagara facility is great for bowls and hot plates, but not so good when it comes to basic stirring and cutting implements.

Kerry,

Might it be possible for you to request the room that we had back in 2009, which I think was the pastry room, if memory serves? As much fun as it is to do chocolate work while wearing a parka under my apron... :biggrin:

I'd also strongly recommend that people who are able to bring along some basic utensils - spoons, spatulas, knives, etc. The Niagara facility is great for bowls and hot plates, but not so good when it comes to basic stirring and cutting implements.

I've asked for the new room - it was so new when we were in it that I don't think they knew how to make it warmer. I'll make sure if we use the new room that the cold won't be an issue!

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH

sarahdwyer

lebowitz +1 - I'll have the reactine waiting!

DianeM

YetiChocolates

Chris Hennes +1

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

Mjx +1

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

Beth Wilson

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

patti_h

RuthWells

Mette

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH

sarahdwyer

lebowitz +1 - I'll have the reactine waiting!

curls

Reactine=Zyrtec= cetirizine

I assume Steve has allergies?

Not Steve actually - but in the past we have arranged large quantities for a family member - apparently you can't buy it freely in the US like you can here. Sadly I forgot this and didn't bring a bunch down when I came to Washington.