• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

PLANNING: 2013 Candy and Confection Workshop, April 27-28

Kerry Beal

DianeM

YetiChocolates

AnythingButPlainChocolate

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

lebowitz +1 - I'll have the reactine waiting!

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

nicole from chocotransfersheets.com

Mjx +1

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

I've lost track of Viktoria and Nonpariel - if anyone knows them personally - can you check with them?

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

I've lost track of Viktoria and Nonpariel - if anyone knows them personally - can you check with them?

I was just checking the Hilton and the web site claims that the group rate is no longer available. I'm guessing that either we've filled the alotted rooms or that there was a time limit for booking the rate. Anyone else notice this?

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

OK. I and my +1 are booked. Please also put us on the list for dinner Saturday night with Chef!

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

I was just checking the Hilton and the web site claims that the group rate is no longer available. I'm guessing that either we've filled the alotted rooms or that there was a time limit for booking the rate. Anyone else notice this?

March 28th is the cutoff date - try calling them.

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

Things are moving along in the Saturday morning part of the program. Callebaut is onboard and will provide us with chocolate. They have also asked Ruth Bleijerveld to be our instructor and she has agreed. Ruth actually attended the first eG chocolate and confectionery workshop at Niagara College while she was in her apprenticeship.

Since that time she has won the Intercollegiate Barry Callebaut Competition in 2010 and just competed in the World Chocolate Masters. She has become a pretty amazing chocolatier.

I'll be getting together with her in the next few weeks and we'll be discussing what she might like to cover in the time we have her.

So I'm looking for input - anything you might want to learn from someone who has competed at this level? What shall we ask her to show us, teach us and guide us through?

Things are moving along in the Saturday morning part of the program. Callebaut is onboard and will provide us with chocolate. They have also asked Ruth Bleijerveld to be our instructor and she has agreed. Ruth actually attended the first eG chocolate and confectionery workshop at Niagara College while she was in her apprenticeship.

Since that time she has won the Intercollegiate Barry Callebaut Competition in 2010 and just competed in the World Chocolate Masters. She has become a pretty amazing chocolatier.

I'll be getting together with her in the next few weeks and we'll be discussing what she might like to cover in the time we have her.

So I'm looking for input - anything you might want to learn from someone who has competed at this level? What shall we ask her to show us, teach us and guide us through?

I would certainly enjoy hearing her thoughts about crafting bon bons for competition. For example, what does she believe is important? Multiple layers? Unusual flavors or combinations? What about decoration? Are there any trends in these areas? What tips might she offer to improve our molding skills which would help us reach for competition level shine?

I would also be interested in hearing her thoughts on showpiece design and construction.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Kerry - I spoke with the hotel this morning. After initial confirming the group rate at C$109 up through 28 April, I received a call back claiming that the room rate escalates through the weekend from C$109 to C$119 and finally to C$139. The very nice woman who spoke with me claimed that this escalation is in the contract.

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Kerry - I spoke with the hotel this morning. After initial confirming the group rate at C$109 up through 28 April, I received a call back claiming that the room rate escalates through the weekend from C$109 to C$119 and finally to C$139. The very nice woman who spoke with me claimed that this escalation is in the contract.

UPDATE: I received a confirmation e-mail from Hilton with the following:

Rate Type: EGULLET CHOCOLATE WO

Rate per night: 109.00 CAD 25 Apr 2013 - 26 Apr 2013

119.00 CAD 26 Apr 2013 - 27 Apr 2013

139.00 CAD 27 Apr 2013 - 28 Apr 2013

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Figured I'd post this again so people wouldn't have to go back and look it up if they hadn't booked their hotel yet.

One king bed will be $109. $113, $139 for the Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Two Queen beds will be $99, $109, $129

Number for the Hilton is 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario, L0S 1J0, Canada

TEL: 1-905-984-4200

The code to book is EGW11.

I booked 20 rooms in total assuming that some would share, and some would probably look for other accommodation.

If you need time on either side - the Hilton folks said they would be available at a better price than the standard rate if you book them at the same time.

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%0

Couple of thoughts -

Arrival from the US or Canada can be into Buffalo (about 30 minutes from NOTL) - consideration must be given if you are renting a car because the car will have to cross the border which is an issue with many rental companies.

You can also arrive in Toronto - which is about 90 minutes from NOTL. Some places in the US might be able to fly in to Hamilton (about 30 minutes from NOTL).

Friday we will be visiting Art and Wilma's fabulous new panning facility - Chocolate FX. We'll have to figure out some option for dinner - then after dinner we'll do the show and tell in the room at the hotel. I haven't booked the room yet - I'm going for last minute!

Saturday - we'll start up around 8:30 or so at the college - Ruth will teach us from 9 to noon or so, we'll break for lunch, then in the afternoon practice what we've learned. Sunday more play - teaching each other whatever we want to learn.

Saturday night - dinner at the college. FrogPrincesse will shake up a cocktail or two.

It will be great to have Ruth there to teach us! I actually watched her compete at the World Chocolate Masters, she did an amazing job.

Do you think she would be willing to share the recipe of the tarte au sucre she made for the competition? If my memory serves me well, her version was a very chic-looking (and probably delicious) rectangular tart, I would love to try and recreate it at home after the workshop.

I second lebowitz's request for information on bonbons and showpieces. It is always a great experience to learn about others' creative process when preparing for a competition at this level.

I would love to attend...

Is there anybody from Ottawa area that is going? ( I'm in the Outaouais area)

Yup - ElsieD is from Ottawa I believe.

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%0

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%)

sarahdwyer

DianeM

YetiChocolates

FrogPrincesse

dhardy123

tikidoc +1 or more

Viktoria

RobertM

Tri2Cook

ElsieD

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

Kyle - now 15

lironp

prabha

Darienne

Chocolot

Fran

Kathy

Nonpareil

MelissaH +1

sarahdwyer

curls +2

Genkiaonna

AnnieWilliams

Art and Wilma

Maybe/hopefully

RuthWells

Emily_R + 1

Mjx +1

jmk

CacaoFlower

Will be missed

Mette

Beth Wilson

Dinner Saturday list

Anna N

Kerry Beal

RobertM

curls + 2

YetiChocolates

dhardy123

DianeM

Chocolot

FrogPrincesse

lebowitz +1

mkayahara

Matthew Hayday

lironp

prahba (90%)

sarahdwyer

MelissaH +1